1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cortical autonomic network connectivity predicts symptoms in ... ME/CFS., 2021, Zinn, Jason.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by boolybooly, Oct 20, 2021.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cortical autonomic network connectivity predicts symptoms in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

IntJPsychophysiol 2021 Oct 15; Online ahead of print.

Authors.
    Mark A Zinn, Leonard A Jason.

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) represents a significant public health challenge given the presence of many unexplained patient symptoms. Research has shown that many features in ME/CFS may result from a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system (ANS).

We explored the role of the cortical autonomic network (CAN) involved in higher-order control of ANS functioning in 34 patients with ME/CFS and 34 healthy controls under task-free conditions. All participants underwent resting-state quantitative electroencephalographic (qEEG) scalp recordings during an eyes-closed condition. Source analysis was performed using exact low-resolution electromagnetic tomography (eLORETA), and lagged coherence was used to estimate intrinsic functional connectivity between each node across 7 frequency bands: delta (1-3 Hz), theta (4-7 Hz), alpha-1 (8-10 Hz), alpha-2 (10-12 Hz), beta-1 (13-18 Hz), beta-2 (19-21 Hz), and beta-3 (22-30 Hz). Symptom ratings were measured using the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire and the Short Form (SF-36) health survey.

Graph theoretical analysis of weighted, undirected connections revealed significant group differences in baseline CAN organization. Regression results showed that cognitive, affective, and somatomotor symptom cluster ratings were associated with alteration to CAN topology in patients, depending on the frequency band. These findings provide evidence for reduced higher-order homeostatic regulation and adaptability in ME/CFS. If confirmed, these findings address the CAN as a potential therapeutic target for managing patient symptoms.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34662673/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
    Michelle, shak8, Starlight and 15 others like this.
  2. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this paper.

QEEG is on my to do list to look into re ME -from a point if view if further evidence on top of neuropsychological testing that can show up pts difficulties.

The last sentence reads a bit odd to me. From my understanding pw all sorts of MH issues, for example ptsd, can be taught to manage symptoms and responses they make with feedback they get via the screen in qeeg. It's essentially a firm of biofeedback, so perhaps can give pwME useful information to alter how they feel and manage symptoms but I am unsure if this isn't over reach in action. Expect to see a trial protocol being published soon, I suspect.

Michelle, shak8, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  3. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happy to help a bit, I thought it meshed with the Gandasegui paper as another method for triaging ME patients relating to dysautonomia.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/myalg...rological-entity-2021-gandasegui-et-al.22593/

I agree it is overreach to suggest treatment at this stage but they prefaced it with "if confirmed" so I will let them off. ;)

I think the dysautonomia is real and noteworthy but dont think it is the root cause which I see as immunological, more a major group of symptoms which contribute to feeling lousy.

I am not sure how they would treat it, probably old favourites like Amitriptyline etc which makes my heart arrhythmia worse but some people find it helpful.

The good thing about qEEG is its is quantifiable but as you say it is also possible for patients to modify their own readings, which makes it a little less telling as an experimental measure.

I dont want to sound callous but it might be revealing to combine qEEG with things like tilt table testing and Valsalva and look at response profiles as these will tend to have involuntary components.

janice, Michelle, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.