1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: Advice from ME organisations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Eagles, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

couldn't you 'create' a sort of quarantine chest/cupboard for non-perishable items? as the virus only lives on surfaces from several hours to a few days.

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You would need some sort of batching strategy, else each time you added something into the store, thereby risking contaminating that already in there, you would then have to restart the quarantine timer. But it's not a bad idea if that were solved. Maybe two stores - one already quarantined, and the other fully loaded and left alone.

3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm supposed to fly to London on Sunday afternoon to go to the CMRC gathering on Tues/Wed. I change my mind every 15 minutes about whether I should or should not board the flight. University of California has asked us to restrict "non-essential" travel to the most hard-hit countries, a list that includes Italy but not so far UK.

MeSci, JohnTheJack, Barry and 16 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MeSci, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 19 others like this.
  5. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. I think that’s the best idea. I think it’s spreading in the UK now as well, definitely from person to person, the cases are going up quickly every day, and London has been hit by it too. Bhupesh prusty has the right idea.

MeSci, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 13 others like this.
  6. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm curious on how you decide on when to start social distancing.

Do you wait until cases pop up in your communitiy or for the local health department to give out recommendations? Or do you decide independently from that?

MeSci, ladycatlover, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well aha yes I do that with some items.... toilet roll & other things I know I wont need for a wk or so, I get the driver to put them in a box under the kitchen table, but the rest (most of it) I need to use or am likely to use in the next day or two. When we can get specific figs on how long it lives on surfaces at ambient temps then sure, but much of my shop goes in the freezer/fridge.

I'm inclined to agree, especially if you are anywhere near being in a 'vulnerable group' -
    I'm not asking your health status, but I am hoping you wont take any risks.

You are much too important to us all - as a person - regardless of whether you do any more advocacy - you are far too important to risk your health.

Especially to conference where your attendance is to benefit the cause of PwME.... We would be much worse off without you in our corner, so please don't put your self at risk on our behalf.

MeSci, AliceLily, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read an article in the NYTimes today about a mathematician's review of the Covid-19 statistics. He said that if there is a community case that is hospitalized (a serious case), then it has certainly spread already (to an extent) in the community.

This is based on the serious case rate generated by x-number of total cases and the R factor (the number of transmissions per case).

Since I already am prepared and can stay at home for now, and I am a former nurse, etc., I err (or not) on the side of caution and stay home. It's also a public service because I am one less senior to use vital health services (if I got seriousy ill).

I don't know what to make of local health department advice here in California. I'm sure they have an algorithm, but I'd rather feel less stressed by feeling safe (staying inside), or the few times I go outside, I am employing infection control behaviors.

MeSci, MSEsperanza, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  9. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately there isn't much information on the number of hospitalized people in my area. I guess that will change once the numbers rise.

I'm not going to mass gatherings or travel anyway but use public transport 1-2/week to go out to socialize.

Yesterday, I had one of these subway coughers across from me and of course he didnt cover his mouth. Since it wasn't a dry cough I didnt worry but I realized an incident like that would be enough.

From what I understand the virus is here to stay and will disrupt public life for a longer time. I'm actually a bit scared of the loneliness that might come with it.

MSEsperanza, AliceLily, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How about asking someone to take an AV1 telepresence robot there for you (and @Andy ) ?

https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-hospital-and-outreach-education-granted-£500k-to-provide-continued-education-to-children-absent-from-school-due-to-long-term-illness.8532/

https://www.s4me.info/threads/my-robot-makes-me-feel-like-i-havent-been-forgotten.5552/

https://www.s4me.info/threads/teenager-with-me’s-life-has-been-transformed-by-a-robot-that-helps-her-learn.4033/

I still think it would be a good thing to transform most parts of the event into a video conference.

I first thought, in addition, maybe S4ME could provide an online chat space for the breaks. On a second thought, it's probably too much effort to organize that.

Perhaps the best would be to postpone the event alltogether and have some webinars and online chats instead, like Cochrane did with their conference in Chile last year.

see also https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-cf...e-10th-and-11th-march-2020.11813/#post-241990

eta: Anyway, good wishes to everyone dealing with the impact of the spreading virus and (hopfeully not) the virus itself.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    MeSci, Chezboo, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  11. Trish

The Bateman Horne Center which treats and researches ME in the USA has published materials on coronavirus Covid-19. From an e-mail:

Suzanne D. Vernon, PhD, shares how she got hooked on learning about viruses, COVID-19, and what individuals with ME/CFS and FM should know. Read Dr. Vernon's blog post here:
    http://batemanhornecenter.org/virology-101/

Linda Milne, discusses how individuals with ME/CFS and FM can prepare in the event of a community outbreak. Watch the video series here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShqx0OrhOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6bO3c4ZEE

Yessica, Hutan, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is so frustrating. I would like the information in those 2 videos but one is 33 minutes and the other is 24 and there is no way I can manage that.

I don't know if I am in the minority, but if I read something I can take my time and go back over bits to increase how much I understand with an ME brain.

Videos bounce all the time and it gives me vertigo, too.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Perrier, MeSci, Yessica and 11 others like this.
  13. Trish

I have watched the Part 1 video. It's basically stuff we already know about how to protect yourself from catching the virus.
    Here are my notes:

Information: Use reliable sources - WHO, NIH, CDC, local public health agencies. CDC is posting daily updates at noon.

Immune system strengthening - sleep, exercise (for non ME people), reduce stress, fluids, electrolytes, good diet.

Hand washing, 20 seconds, dry with paper towel.
    If not available, next best is alcohol based gel.

Sanitising home.
    Dishes - dishwasher or very hot soapy water.
    Surfaces including taps and door handles - wipes or spray that claim to kill 99.9% of germs.
    Alternative - home made version - full strength bleach diluted 1-2 tablespoons in a gallon of water and put in spray bottles in kitchen and bathroom, use paper towels with this as wipes, wash hands after use.

Workplace - same sanitising as home. Keep 2 metres distance, work from home if possible.

Face - don't touch face. Don't shake hands or hug.

If cough or sneeze - do into inside of elbow or thick tissue.

Personal protective equipment. Worldwide shortage. Cheap masks no use anyway - they are for reducing particulates, not germs.
    Leave masks, gloves etc. for front line health workers who need them more.

The good habits we develop now will help us avoid other infections all year round.

Woolie, Michelle, Yessica and 25 others like this.
  14. Trish

Second video: Again, all pretty familiar common sense stuff:

Sheltering at home from a public health crisis - self quarantine.

Supplies - make sure you have enough for 2-3 weeks - foods you like, electrolytes, treats and snacks to boost morale, partucularly for younger families, food for pets, personal hygiene items, toilet paper, paper towels, strong tissues,

Medications, see if you can get a prescription to cover a longer period. Use postal prescription medicine services if available, check any emergency first aid and medical supplies you have are up to date.

If you live with others, quarantine may be more than 2 weeks, as different household members get ill at different times. Need to take sequential outbreaks into account in planning possible quarantine.

We don't know yet about whether someone can get reinfected or whether people are generally immune once they have had it once.

Children - if school closure, find out whether they will be doing on line schooling from home. Think about how you will keep kids occupied at home.

Work - prepare to work from home if possible. Some workplaces may close for a period. Think about how this might affect your family and finances and possible cash flow problems if your income stops for a few weeks. Plan ahead.

Being well prepared helps reduce stress.

MEMarge, Woolie, Cheshire and 26 others like this.
  15. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Trish :heart:

I also have trouble absorbing information from videos (vs. printed text) so I appreciate both of your summaries! :)

MEMarge, MeSci, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  16. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They still haven't taken into account possible faecal-oral or nasal route via aerosol from toilet flushing. Put your loo lids down before flushing (as discussed on the other coronavirus thread). Which is why we don't have soft close lids on our loos - they take forever to close.

MeSci, Michelle, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  17. Gigi300

Gigi300 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Trish !! Your information are very appreciate!!:)

MEMarge, MeSci, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was really hoping IM could work from home next week. Sometimes he can, but at the moment they still want people in to work.

His commute to work is fine - he has to drive in anyway. They hot desk in the office though. So while.you can sanitize the desktop, it's harder to do with the keyboard. Keyboards are fairly germ laden at the best of times.

They have handsanitizer all over the place, but that's not much use if the keyboard is dirty. The when you think about a shared office chair and all the places people touch that. Desk drawers, inside the drawers, maybe even under the front of the desk as you pull the chair in.

They are waiting to see before allowing his team to work from home. I'm not sure I understand the logic......

Ah well.

MEMarge, MeSci, MSEsperanza and 7 others like this.
  19. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MeSci, MSEsperanza, Sean and 6 others like this.
  20. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Invisible Woman The clinell alcohol wipes that luna mentioned on the other thread would be good for IM at work for keyboards etc? or just soak & wring out the bleach solution Trish mentioned above & put in a plastic tub to take to work?
    Hope he can stay away really though

MeSci and MSEsperanza like this.