1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Contribution to science of Regius Professor Sir Simon Wessely: a thirty year retrospective

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Daisymay, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's clear from the context that he does endorse it, but as to proving that, either legally or in the court of public opinion, that's a different matter. There is a tad too much wiggle room for a person such as him to exploit if he desired.

Inara, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think SW is a supremo at dropping ideas into the melting pot he wants people to pick up on, whilst maintaining the plausible deniability that he only said what someone else said. He's very good at it, because it is very hard to pin down or prove. But I strongly suspect it is what he does. Nevertheless, we must not quote people out of context, or endorse texts which do, else our credibility for seeking the truth and good science will go down the pan - the very things underpinning why we founded this forum, and why I am proud to be part of it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that Wessely is often evasive enough in his use of language that it's very hard to use short quotations to show the problems with his work. Unfortunately, it normally requires people to do much more reading than that, but attempting to take quick-cuts can back-fire and make it seem as if criticism of him is unfair. Than there's the problem of getting anyone to read the longer criticism!

Thanks for posting the additional context.

EzzieD, Barry, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Agree.

Unfortunately fully catching Wessely out requires both solid familiarity with the background of it all, and a massive collation and cross-referencing job.

Barry and Wonko like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

He was a lot less cautious when he didn't think patients would hear what he was saying. Older papers before Sci-Hub or even when the internet was less common, as well as his correspondence with Aylward, had some pretty damning snippets.

Robert 1973, Inara, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hence the very old saying about him 'weasel words'