1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Conference Poster: Consumers Choosing Wisely. GET for ME/CFS, a case study

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Simone, May 30, 2018.

1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The below poster was presented today at the National Meeting of Choosing Wisely Australia, in Canberra. The poster describes how ME/CFS patients around the world have been instrumental in investigating the science behind potentially harmful GET and advocating for its removal from clinical practice for ME/CFS.
    The poster was developed by ME/CFS Australia (SA) Chair, @Penelope McMillan, and is being presented at the meeting by Canberra advocate, Eleanor Flowers.

Feedback that we have had so far is that conference attendees from outside the ME/CFS community have been showing considerable interest in the poster.

From their website: “The 2018 Choosing Wisely Australia National Meeting brings together members, key stakeholders and influencers of the Choosing Wisely initiative. It is an opportunity for health professionals, consumers, researchers, funders and policy makers to come together to discuss, engage and network on topics related to reducing unnecessary care.

Choosing Wisely is led by Australia’s medical colleges and professional societies and facilitated by NPS MedicineWise."

There is also a digital version of the poster, with hyperlinks to videos and articles, here:
    https://cwa2018.paperlessevents.com.au/presenters/2085

(Apologies for the low res image in this post. Higher resolution versions were too big to be uploaded. Check the digital version for higher resolution.)

You can also read the abstract for the poster here (number 110, on page 19):
    http://www.choosingwisely.org.au/ge...-National-Meeting-2018-Abstract-Book.pdf.aspx

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    TiredSam, Dolphin, Inara and 32 others like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is good news.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Very nice work.

Dolphin, mango, Inara and 6 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good work getting in there - I think that this group is involved with some researchers who've promoted GET, so my instinct would have been to just grumble about their hypocrisy from the side-lines, Great to see people being able to make a more positive contribution.

Dolphin, NelliePledge, Simone and 9 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

i wonder if theres an equivalent to this event in the NHS

Dolphin and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

us.png

If only more US healthcare providers would get the message that their government no longer recommends GET. There is no law that healthcare providers must follow the recommendations of the CDC or AHRQ. State medical boards typically determine these "scope of practice" laws.