1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Preprint Comprehensive profiling of the human intestinal DNA virome and prediction of disease-associated bacterial hosts in severe ME/CFS, 2023, Carding et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Jun 30, 2023.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title:
    Comprehensive profiling of the human intestinal DNA virome and prediction of disease-associated bacterial hosts in severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a disabling disorder of unknown etiology with severely affected patients being house- and/or bedbound.

A historical association with chronic virus infection and subsequent recent reports correlating intestinal microbial dysbiosis with disease pathology prompted us to analyze the intestinal virome in a small cohort of severely-affected ME/CFS patients and same household healthy controls (SHHC).

Datasets from whole metagenomic sequencing (WMS) and sequencing of virus-like particles (VLP)-enriched metagenomes from the same fecal sample yielded diverse, high-quality vOTUs with high read coverage and high genome completeness.

The core intestinal virome was largely composed of tailed phages in the class Caudoviricetes with no significant differences in alpha diversity between ME/CFS and SHHC groups. However, the WMS dataset had a higher Shannon measure than the VLP dataset (p < 0.0001), with VLP- and WMS-derived sequences indicating differential abundances within several viral families and different viral compositions in beta diversity.

This confirms that combining different isolation methodologies identifies a greater diversity of viruses including extracellular phages and integrated prophages. DNA viromes and bacteriomes from ME/CFS and SHHC groups were comparable with no differences in any alpha or beta diversity measures.

One vOTU derived from the VLP-derived dataset was assigned to ssDNA human virus smacovirus 1. Using an in-silico approach to predict cohort-based bacterial hosts, we identified members of the Anaerotruncus genus interacting with unique viruses present in ME/CFS microbiomes; this may contribute to the GI microbial dysbiosis described in ME/CFS patients.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.06.29.23291738v1

Sean, RedFox, SNT Gatchaman and 3 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can someone tell me what vOTU stands for?

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"viral operational taxonomic unit" - now you know as much as I do!

MeSci, RedFox, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MeSci likes this.