1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Psychological or Physical Diseases?"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gigi300, MEMarge, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

EzzieD, Michelle, Gigi300 and 18 others like this.
  3. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hell yeah, we are!

EzzieD, Michelle, Gigi300 and 18 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it at all clear how many of the people they think have depression and anxiety actually do - given that their questionnaires seem to interpret virtually everything as evidence of depression and/or anxiety.

EzzieD, Michelle, Gigi300 and 14 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Odd to put that there. Most chronic illness patients will never even have had an assessment so this claim is entirely baseless and anyway depression and anxiety cannot reliably be diagnosed or confirmed so this means very little. It is only partially true, and mostly as a mistake, once we get sick and face the wall of denial, but that is not the definition of lifelong. Most of my life I would have rated zero on both and still would if the common questionnaires did not deliberately conflate can't and won't.

It is a belief that it is the case, which sadly exemplifies just how thoroughly ideological and dogmatic the belief system over psychosomatic illness is, when false claims are commonly made up on the spot to make up for the total lack of evidence.
    All evidence I have seen so far confirms this. Most ME patients ignore and downplay their symptoms and the only people obsessed with thinking about symptoms are the charlatans who want to build a case for their personal beliefs but lack evidence.

The most frustrating part of this continuing "debate" is that it is absurd to suggest we know everything there is to know about physiology and therefore any claims that absence of evidence confirms a psychological origin, the actual "scientific" argument used in practice, is blatantly unscientific.

EzzieD, Gigi300, JemPD and 10 others like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the same website (medico-legal partners.com)there is a What is Fibromyalgia video from Jan. 2020. An MD explains fibro in his introduction which I find damaging:

I paraphase: Fibro is often triggered by a physical cause (injury or surgery) or a psychological cause. The pain level is high and the disruption to normal life is high. However, prolonged suffering from the pain and disruption causes psychological maladaption which causes the patient to feel even more pain that isn't really there, although it isn't in their heads, either.
    End of paraphrase.

Huh?

There are inaccuracies in the rest of the video as well.

In rebuttal, often there are no triggers to the onset of fibro. Also, pain can increase all by itself without a psychological maladaptation--it's called central sensitization or it is not known exactly why it happens.

Psychological maladaptation. It sounds objective, but what does it mean? It must include pain catastrophizing (yet again?) or that the patient is taking too long in adapting to a frightening new reality which includes very little pain relief for the rest of their lives due to opioid restrictions, not being able to work or fulfill role expectations

Thirty-five percent of fibro patients receive disablilty. But many more are refused benefits to which they are entitled. How about adapting to that cold reality of trying to get benefits for which you are entitled but year after year are denied. And the benefit to which you are entitled is at near poverty level.

The alarming propensity by doctors and psychologist to over-use psychological mechanisms to explain causation is inaccurate and harmful. Employing so-called psychological proof (doubtful at best) to instill doubt in the public, other medical professionals, social workers, and even disability lawers or their adversaries, not to mention the patients themselves, is a form of malpractice and lying. And once again, it displays a lack of empathy, of human kindness and scientific rigor.

EzzieD, JemPD, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  7. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The first time I've heard about the Complex Regional Pain Syndrome was in this German documentary about a young woman with a very severe case of this terrible disease. She nearly died and lost a leg. She had a long fight with her disability insurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT3g-MFW-KI

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME has been around since 1955 may be earlier. Fibromyalgia came about in the 80's.
    Where? NICE still treats ME as psychological.

EzzieD, chrisb, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They keep ignoring the epidemics because it is difficult to call them psychological! They tried mass hysteria but one of the reasons they gave that it was mass hysteria was that many of the victims were women and women are likely to get hysteria.

Let them try that nowadays!

Peter Trewhitt likes this.