Complement dysregulation is a predictive and therapeutically amenable feature of long COVID, 2023, Morgan et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by EndME, Oct 29, 2023.

1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Published abstract and link here

Preprint

Complement dysregulation is a predictive and therapeutically amenable feature of long COVID

Background: Long COVID encompasses a heterogeneous set of ongoing symptoms that affect many individuals after recovery from infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The underlying biological mechanisms nonetheless remain obscure, precluding accurate diagnosis and effective intervention. Complement dysregulation is a hallmark of acute COVID-19 but has not been investigated as a potential determinant of long COVID.

Methods: We quantified a series of complement proteins, including markers of activation and regulation, in plasma samples from healthy convalescent individuals with a confirmed history of infection with SARS-CoV-2 and age/ethnicity/gender/infection/vaccine-matched patients with long COVID.

Findings: Markers of classical (C1s-C1INH complex), alternative (Ba, iC3b), and terminal pathway (C5a, TCC) activation were significantly elevated in patients with long COVID. These markers in combination had a receiver operating characteristic predictive power of 0.794. Other complement proteins and regulators were also quantitatively different between healthy convalescent individuals and patients with long COVID. Generalized linear modeling further revealed that a clinically tractable combination of just four of these markers, namely the activation fragments iC3b, TCC, Ba, and C5a, had a predictive power of 0.785.

Conclusions: These findings suggest that complement biomarkers could facilitate the diagnosis of long COVID and further suggest that currently available inhibitors of complement activation could be used to treat long COVID.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.26.23297597v1.full.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2024
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This sounds interesting. It's too late in the day for me to read it today, but I look forward to hearing more e.g. sample size, how the individual complement proteins compared, whether any of the findings have also been found in ME/CFS.

Jacob Richter, Kitty, Ash and 8 others like this.
  3. EndME

Well age matched and not too focused on older age groups. However almost 1/2 of LC patients in this study are overweight so possibly a lot of noise here.

The largest chunk of data (including basic data such as Cohort demographics, symptomatology, and other key features) is in the supplementary tables, which however aren't part of the preprint (or I can't find them) so it currently isn't possible for me to assess this work (at least they do state that the long-Covid patients weren't hospitalised).

Edit: As pointed out below the supplementary material is available, I was just too stupid to find it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    Jacob Richter, Kitty, Helene and 7 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paul Morgan is a world class immunologist with a special interest in complement.
    There might be recruitment problems for a study of this sort but otherwise I would expect the science to be of high quality.

5. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Supplementary material here.

Jacob Richter, Kitty, Ash and 7 others like this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea, wonder if anyone has looked at this in ME/CFS, Lyme --- anything else that looks like ME/CFS?
    My usual reply - I'm guessing that a GWAS study, which had a large cohort with this problem*, would have a strong (related) signal? Even if ME/CFS doesn't have such a high proportion of people with this pathology* it might be interesting to examine the DecodeME data i.e. to see it there's a related signal?

*"Generalized linear modeling further revealed that a clinically tractable combination of just four of these markers, namely the activation fragments iC3b, TCC, Ba, and C5a, had a predictive power of 0.785."

Jacob Richter, Sean and DokaGirl like this.
  7. EndME

Hutan and Jacob Richter like this.
  8. Hutan

Yes, good sample size, healthy controls had also had Covid-19.

Figure 1 - Dot plots for the 6 complement activation products, plasma concentrations. Overlaps, but some great P values. Long covid on the left.

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 7.27.21 am.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 7.27.35 am.png
    They investigated levels of complement components and regulators too, and again there was evidence for increased complement activity in cases. Some very good p-values. Two complement regulators, factor D and properdin look particularly interesting.

Jacob Richter, Kitty, EndME and 5 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Figure 5 is a correlogram. 5a is for all of the substances tested, for the controls, and 5b is for the cases. (I don't understand why these two correlograms weren't combined - what is the point of duplicating the same data above and below the diagonal line? I mean, you could put the case data above the diagonal line and the control data below the diagonal line.) It is quite clear that relationships between the various substances are very different between cases and controls. I think it's reasonable to conclude the complement system is dysregulated.
    Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 8.04.56 am.png

I was hoping that they would do a PCA, and they did.
    Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 8.16.27 am.png
    I'm not surprised that the PCA was put in the Supplementary Data, because it is very underwhelming. There is very little separation of the groups - the orange circle almost completely overlaps the green circle. It does make me feel more worried about the point that EndME mentioned, is the obesity affecting the results? I'm surprised there was no investigation of the effect of BMI - it would have been relatively easy to do. For example, the sample was big enough that they could have had a look at a sample that excluded obese individuals.

Kitty, EndME, Sean and 5 others like this.
  10. Hutan

The mismatch on BMI could definitely be an issue:
    The complement system is dysfunctional in metabolic disease: Evidences in plasma and adipose tissue from obese and insulin resistant subjects, 2019, Moreno-Navarette et al
    For example the Factor D finding could have been affected by the different prevalence of obesity in the samples.

Kitty, TrixieStix, EndME and 5 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Although the p values are strong, it looks from most of the dot plots like the majority of the long covid patients are in the same range of values for each test as the controls. So not a test that can diagnose Long Covid. It looks like there is a subgroup with significantly different results. I think the really need to see whether that correlates with obesity or some other factor before they conclude that it's a key factor in Long Covid.

12. EndME

Jacob Richter, Kitty, obeat and 4 others like this.
  13. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://meassociation.org.uk/2023/12/medscape-new-tests-may-finally-diagnose-long-covid/

By Sara Novak

Extracts
    Researchers at Cardiff University School of Medicine in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom, tracked 166 patients, 79 of whom had been diagnosed with long COVID and 87 who had not. All participants had recovered from a severe bout of acute COVID-19.

In an analysis of the blood plasma of the study participants, researchers found elevated levels of certain components. Four proteins in particular — Ba, iC3b, C5a, and TCC — predicted the presence of long COVID with 78.5% accuracy.

The study revealed that long COVID was associated with inflammation of the immune system causing these complement proteins to remain dysregulated. Proteins like C3, C4, and C5 are important parts of the immune system because they recruit phagocytes, cells that attack and engulf bacteria and viruses at the site of infection to destroy pathogens like SARS-coV-2.

The more doctors understand about the mechanism causing immune dysregulation in long COVID patients, the more they can treat it with existing medications. Zelek’s lab has been studying certain medications like pegcetacoplan (C3 blocker), danicopan (anti-factor D), and iptacopan (anti-factor B) that can be used to break the body’s cycle of inflammation and reduce symptoms experienced in those with long COVID

14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Michelle, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  15. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now published in Med as —

Complement dysregulation is a prevalent and therapeutically amenable feature of long COVID
    Kirsten Baillie; Helen E. Davies; Samuel B.K. Keat; Kristin Ladell; Kelly L. Miners; Samantha A. Jones; Ermioni Mellou; Erik J.M. Toonen; David A. Price; B. Paul Morgan; Wioleta M. Zelek

BACKGROUND
    Long COVID encompasses a heterogeneous set of ongoing symptoms that affect many individuals after recovery from infection with SARS-CoV-2. The underlying biological mechanisms nonetheless remain obscure, precluding accurate diagnosis and effective intervention. Complement dysregulation is a hallmark of acute COVID-19 but has not been investigated as a potential determinant of long COVID.

METHODS
    We quantified a series of complement proteins, including markers of activation and regulation, in plasma samples from healthy convalescent individuals with a confirmed history of infection with SARS-CoV-2 and age/ethnicity/sex/infection/vaccine-matched patients with long COVID.

FINDINGS
    Markers of classical (C1s-C1INH complex), alternative (Ba, iC3b), and terminal pathway (C5a, TCC) activation were significantly elevated in patients with long COVID. These markers in combination had a receiver operating characteristic predictive power of 0.794. Other complement proteins and regulators were also quantitatively different between healthy convalescent individuals and patients with long COVID. Generalized linear modeling further revealed that a clinically tractable combination of just four of these markers, namely the activation fragments iC3b, TCC, Ba, and C5a, had a predictive power of 0.785.

CONCLUSIONS
    These findings suggest that complement biomarkers could facilitate the diagnosis of long COVID and further suggest that currently available inhibitors of complement activation could be used to treat long COVID.

FUNDING
    This work was funded by the National Institute for Health Research (COV-LT2-0041), the PolyBio Research Foundation, and the UK Dementia Research Institute.

Link | PDF (Med)

Sean, Amw66, Hutan and 4 others like this.