1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Preprint Comparison of T-cell Receptor Diversity of people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis versus controls, 2023, Dibble, Ponting et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pre-print

Free fulltext:
    https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-3164397/v1

Comparison of T-cell Receptor Diversity of people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis versus controls

Joshua J Dibble1

Ben Ferneyhough2

Matthew Roddis2

Sam Millington2

Michael D Fischer2

Nick J Parkinson2

Chris P Ponting1

Email

1 University of Edinburgh,

2 Systems Biology Laboratory UK

Objective:

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME; sometimes referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or CFS) is a chronic disease without laboratory test, detailed aetiological understanding or effective therapy. Its symptoms are diverse, but it is distinguished from other fatiguing illnesses by the experience of post-exertional malaise, the worsening of symptoms even after minor physical or mental exertion. Its frequent onset after infection might indicate that it is an autoimmune disease or that it arises from abnormal T-cell activation.

Results:

To test this hypothesis, we sequenced the genomic loci of a/d, b and g T-cell receptors (TCR) from 40 human blood samples from each of four groups: severely affected people with ME/CFS; mildly or moderately affected people with ME/CFS; people diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, as disease controls; and, healthy controls. Seeking to automatically classify these individuals’ samples by their TCR repertoires, we applied P-SVM, a machine learning method. However, despite working well on a simulated data set, this approach did not partition samples into the four subgroups, beyond what was expected by chance alone. Our findings do not support the hypothesis that blood samples from people with ME/CFS frequently contain altered T-cell receptor diversity.

Mij, Binkie4, Michelle and 22 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is my naive understanding, there will be members who can correct any mistakes:

This paper is looking at T-cells sharing receptors with sequences that bind to particular antigens. They say this increase from production of such T-cells in the thymus, or from clonal expansion, where a T-cell that has bound to a particular antigen proliferates. (I'll call the outcome where there is an increase in T-cells sharing the same antigen receptor 'clonal expansion'.)

Clonal expansion happens in a range of diseases, including autoimmune diseases, and as a response to pathogens. I guess it happens whenever an antigen binds to a T-cell.

So, if there is a pathogen outside cells, or it inside cells and causing the cells to put bits of the pathogen on their surface to signal for help, then we might expect to see clonal expansion. If there was a persistent infection causing ME/CFS, T-cell clonal expansion would be an important clue, although there are some reasons why that clonal expansion might not be detected.

This paper is a result of the work Joshua Dibble did for his PhD thesis, discussed here:
    Thesis: Investigating the Genetic and Immunological Aetiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2022 Dibble

Mij, Michelle, Jacob Richter and 9 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Samples covering mild and severe ME/CFS, MS and healthy controls, with the ME/CFS samples probably as well-characterised as in any study.
    Cytomegalovirus seropositivity didn't differ by group.

It's important to note that this study looked at the diversity of T- cell receptors. There are different ways of measuring diversity. Some of us will have heard of Shannon diversity, from ecology. So, the method chosen could result in something important being missed, (and it's something to be watched for in analyses like this) but the chosen metric here was consciously chosen to be robust.

Deciding exactly what part of the T-cell to evaluate and then sorting the receptors into clonal groups doesn't sound to be as straightforward as might have expected. The Methods section is after the Discussion, so I haven't got to it yet, and I still might not understand.
    Good to see this happening.

Mij, Michelle, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Figure 1 is below, for CD8+ chains with data for each group in a different colour.

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 10.39.01 am.png
    It is noted that the outliers out to the right with higher diversity are explained by the participants being of younger age. Because it wasn't possible to get enough ME severe samples in the target are range of 40 to 60 years, they included samples from younger people. So, clearly age is a huge confounder for T-cell diversity measures.

That makes me wonder about the utility of this diversity measure. If even the MS group (which is known to have T-cell clonal expansion) isn't showing up as different, then can we expect it to find issues in ME/CFS?

I skipped ahead and skimmed the Discussion to see what was said about MS not being identified as different, even from healthy controls. There is something there about the TCR clonotype diversity not necessarily being manifest in the blood, but instead in tissues as is the case in MS.
    When I first heard about the findings of this study, I assumed that was the end of the idea of T-cell clonal expansion in ME/CFS. But, reading this, I don't think it is. I think there is still a need to look, as is suggested in the Discussion, at TCR clonotype sequences themselves, and to look at T-cells in tissues rather than in blood.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Mij, Michelle, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  5. Hutan

This is the reference for the suggestion that TCR clonal diversity in MS is in tissues, not blood

This is making my head explode a bit. Public and private clones?
    There's this paper that might shed some light on that:
    Public and private human T-cell clones respond differentially to HCMV antigen when boosted by CD3 copotentiation

But, I'm going to have a bit of a lie down. 'More T-cells, less psychology' still seems like a good plan though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Mij, bobbler, Jacob Richter and 11 others like this.
  6. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are using Renyi entropy which is sort of a generalised measure of diversity which includes many different measures of diversity within it. You get a curve like one of these (taken from this website):
    upload_2023-7-23_9-3-26.png
    Where the y axis Ha(X) is the entropy a.k.a a measure of diversity, and the x axis is a parameter alpha. Different values of alpha represent different diversity metrics. At alpha=1 you are looking at shannon diversity for example.

From the methods:
    So I think what they're doing is for a given cell type (CD4 or 8) and chain, every patient gets a curve like this and they compare every possible pair of patients and calculate how 'different' their curves are by calculating euclidean distances between them, generating a single number for each pair. Then they use machine learning to sort them into the groups and see how accurately they can do it. They get their p values by randomly shuffling the data labels around and trying to sort into groups based on these random labels many times, and basically seeing how their real data compares against this randomised null distribution.

Here is their logic of why they do it this way, rather than just picking one diversity measure:

Michelle, bobbler, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  7. chillier

The logic kind of seems fair enough, although I wonder if comparing the whole curve might in someway dilute the signal from whichever source of diversity is actually most relevant - but I suppose in the absence of knowing exactly what kind of diversity you are looking for this makes sense. They test their method out on a simulated dataset to validate their approach, but in doing so you are making all sorts of assumptions about what you think a dataset with clonal expansions will look like.

I think it might have been nice to validate their method on real datasets where there is a known difference in clonal expansion. I'm wondering also if such other datasets actually exist and whether changes in diversity have been seen from this kind of analysis in different diseases. I guess there would be T cell lymphomas where you would see a huge expansion of a singular clone? What about other disease? Clearly they don't see a signal in MS in this dataset for example, possibly because any relevant cells are not in the blood but in the CSF or other tissues as @Hutan alluded to. I seem to recall from various sources that measuring things like this in the blood can be tricky since the action is usually happening elsewhere, and where it is relevant it might be because you are capturing cells at the right timepoint in the process of trafficking from one place to another. I have to defer to people who know much more than I do about this sort of thing.

Michelle, bobbler, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Trying to get my head around this from a quick skim and Hutan and chillier's helpful comments:

Groups included were ME mild/moderate, ME severe, MS, healthy.
    The samples are from the UK ME/CFS biobank, so blood, not CSF, and MS as the disease control.

From the background:
    From the discussion:
    So my simplistic understanding was that they only expected to find the method could sort the samples into disease groups accurately would be if there was clonal expansion in T cells in the blood of each patient group that was both different between disease groups and different from healthy controls.

But they have said that they already know this isn't the case between MS and healthy controls, because the clonally expanded T cells are in tissues, not in blood. So logically they should not have expected the analysis method to be able to separate the healthy controls from the MS patients.

It seems to me that they really needed to have a disease control group of blood samples from a disease known to demonstrate t-cell clonal expansion in blood. Limitations of samples only coming from the UK ME/CFS biobank presumably made this difficult within the cost constraints of a PhD project.

But without the blinded inclusion of such disease samples, how can they know whether the blood samples used were, for example, changed by the storage process, or their lab work was measuring what it was intended to measure? I'm not intending to cast aspersions on the scientists involved, more to ask a general question of whether it's possible to be sure in any lab experiment whether data is meaningful if there isn't inclusion of blinded samples known to exhibit a difference on the thing being measured?

Mij, Michelle, SNT Gatchaman and 8 others like this.
  9. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, never expected Claude Shannon to come up here.

Sean and Michelle like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I realise you have written further on this. But my initial thought was 'is this so'?
    I don't think we have good evidence for MS involving a specific T cell response. B cells yes, but the data on T cells has always looked iffy to me and for the autoimmune diseases I studied there is really no evidence for specific T cell responses (the clear exception is coeliac disease for sa special reason).

The problem with all this is that T cells in blood may well not show up restricted clonality because the relevant T cells are busy in tissue. But restricted clonality in target tissue isn't any good because there is no control situation - normal people do not have many T cells in these tissues. Lymphoid tissue might be a good guide but getting lymphoid samples has always been very tricky in practice. In any inflamed tissue there will be restricted T cell clonality because the T cells are recruited selectively and may expand there. In ME there aren't any tissues with T cells in of note. We all have a few everywhere but not enough to get any data from I suspect.

My gut feeling is that this approach is like trying to roll a boulder up a mountain. It is good that they tried to repeat some preliminary data from the USA but I wouldn't want to pour money into going further.

FMMM1, Sean, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Do we know this? e.g. in tender lymph glands during PEM? in painful muscles during PEM?

It sounds then as though finding t-cells in tissue might be the thing to look for, rather than t-cell diversity in blood?

Sean, Michelle and RedFox like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Lymph nodes will be packed with T cells, as they are in normal people. But biopsying lymph nodes has proved impractical and raises huge sampling problems.

T cells infiltrate normal muscle after exercise and again sampling and access are really tricky. If ME muscles were significantly more inflamed than normal people's it would have shown upon magnetic resonance spectroscopy or imaging.

In barn door pathological states like RA and lupus we tried to get useful information from lymphocyte populations in the 1980s and people have again since, with new techniques, but I don't think it has told us anything fundamental.

FMMM1, Sean, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Thanks Jonathan.
    Perhaps not if it was a transient phenomenon, as you say? I doubt much magnetic resonance spectroscopy or imaging has been done during PEM. (?)

Maybe it's worth doing magnetic resonance spectroscopy on muscles before and during PEM? There has to be some reason for the dreadful crushing muscle pain that I experience in PEM.

Sean, Michelle, Starlight and 3 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Well, PEM is said to let for months in some cases and also to be an exacerbation of symptoms already present. I find it hard to see why people who are persistently severely ill with ME would not have pathology if there is some?

FMMM1, Mij, Sean and 2 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Would it have been found, given that few people with very severe long lasting ME have been throughly investigated as they are too sick for things like scans, muscle biopsies and CSF sampling.

Sean, Michelle, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  16. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love seeing a study that admits it found nothing. We need more of these! It will prevent researchers from turning over the same stone repeatedly.

Ariel, Mij, Sean and 9 others like this.
  17. chillier

this is getting a bit off topic but I'm curious if you think there is a sensible tissue to look at/biopsy in general for ME. Or with our current level of knowledge would it be too much of a blind guess?

Sean, Michelle and RedFox like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be difficult to get a severely ill patient in PEM to collaborate with anything that requires leaving the house, or even the stress of strangers coming into their home to take blood and do an examination.

Frenchguy, Mij, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

I think there was enough inflammation to significantly alterT cell populations in muscle it ought to have been picked upon some cases by now. In polymyalgia we thought there was nothing much to find in muscles, just a raised ESR, but when MRI became available it showed up like a light bulb perimuscular tissues in the shoulders.

And if the pathology only occurs in people who cannot tolerate investigations we are up against it yet again!

FMMM1, Sean, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

No, I do not think biopsy is going to help us.

FMMM1, Mij, Michelle and 5 others like this.