1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Community nursing care for people with long COVID/post-COVID -Patient characteristics, case reports, and nursing interventions, 2022, Richter & Frei

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Purpose: To demonstrate the serious health problems, the nursing interventions and the challenges arising from the nursing care of long COVID/post-COVID patients.

Design: Descriptive analysis and case reports.

Methods:Aggregated anonymized nursing documentation data and two case studies.

Findings: Data from 17 patients were extracted. Patients were predominantly women; the average age was 37.9 years. All patients experienced fatigue, exhaustion and post-exertional malaise. Nursing interventions comprised education on symptoms, training, sleep hygiene, energy management and psychosocial support.

Conclusions: Long COVID patients in this sample were severely physically and mentally disabled. Clinical evidence: Community nurses can play an important role in addressing Long COVID-related health issues.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...istics_case_reports_and_nursing_interventions

2. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This a Swiss study, based on a Private Nursing service. see 2nd author: Linda Frei, RN, BSc, Private Community Nursing Service ‘Herzenssache’, Zurich, Switzerland.

I wonder how applicable this is to the real world in Countries where there are far less resources available for health care.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have not yet read the full article, but from the abstract this approach sounds a lot closer to the model of ME care we, S4ME, advocated in our response the the NICE guidelines consultation process.