1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comment: Psychiatry’s stance towards scientifically implausible therapies: are we losing ground?, 2019, Rosen et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(19)30276-7/
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/S2215-0366(19)30276-7

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ouch!
    I don't think CBT/GET would pass these criteria, even though the main problem is that PACE is not a controlled clinical trial while being presented as such.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amen.

ladycatlover likes this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

6. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The truth is that psychiatry and alternative medicine have both been up to exactly the same tricks to game RCTs and guarantee positive outcomes. Both do not properly control for placebo and bias, rely on self-reported measures, deliberately tell the participants the result they are expecting, cherry-pick data, hide negative results, have like-minded colleagues uncritically peer review their work and report conclusions that go beyond what the data supports.

Now the psychiatrists are doing mental gymnastics to come up with reasons to dismiss the alternative medicine papers without pointing to any of the obvious dirty tricks that they are equally guilty of.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I may be laughing, but it isn't really funny. Better to laugh than cry maybe - perhaps we can laugh them out of the research room. After all most of their results are laughable.

8. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope to see Rosen et al challenging the lightning process soon then!

ukxmrv, alktipping and Annamaria like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mental gymnastics might be regarded as Dualist?

ukxmrv and wdb like this.
  10. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this misses the point. If a RCT shows a positive effect using an intervention that we know is totally implausible (e.g., homeopathy) then there must be something wrong with the way the trial was conducted (e.g., subjective endpoints and unblinded). What is needed is for these bad methodologies to be rooted out and instantly recognised for the crap that they are. Saying we should reject some trials because they use woo is putting the cart before the horse. We should reject the trial because of the crappy methods used. The fact that crappy methodology is not recognised as such is where the problem lies and that is where effort to improve should go.

Hutan, rvallee, John Mac and 7 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is true, but I think the overall point remains - a Randomised Controlled (blinded comparison group) Trial is the minimum level of evidence and we need more evidence to determine the relevance.

The classical examples are the use of antidepressants. We don't really know why they are effective for some people with depression but not others. If we knew why, we could better target them and reduce both cost and harm.

rvallee, Annamaria, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not good at getting my head round statistics so find it difficult to explain what I mean but significance is just a consensus figure which means the result is not likely to be random but if you look at a lot of outcomes you could get a figure that looks significant just by chance! That is one reason why you prespecify which outcomes you are going to look at. Then if one of them is significant it is less likely to be random.

If you look at enough outcomes it is likely you will find a significant outcome, but these are all to do with the numbers, not to do with any specific thing. Bayesian theory says you have to add another layer to your analysis by looking at your specific experiment and deciding if the results are plausible.

For instance, one study of childhood trauma found something like ill health in adulthood was significantly associated inappropriate sexual interactions but not with rape which makes no sense as the more serious trauma includes the less serious.