1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

COMET initiative: Core Outcome Set for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the homepage, https://www.comet-initiative.org/
    "A core outcome set (COS) is an agreed standardised set of outcomes that should be measured and reported, as a minimum, in all clinical trials in specific areas of health or health care."
    which obviously could be a sensible and useful list that helps to determine whether a treatment makes an actual difference to a patient, rather than just getting them to change their answer for something subjective. Or, and given the company he seems to keep this is the likely outcome in my opinion, it will be a confirmation of all the subjective measures that the BPSers have been using for years.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, a core outcome set would be a set of measures that trial lists would be encouraged to collect in all trials. They might find they could not publish if they didn't. So it might be fatigue score, six minute walking distance, work status etc.

It is not quite the same as a standardised composite outcome scale - like the ACR criteria of improvement in rheumatoid or the EULAR grading for rheumatoid, which make use of 'core data' in a specific composite way.

It may be quite interesting that Busse is looking at this. If you set up a core outcome set then you have to have reasons for not including something obvious - like actimetry maybe.

sebaaa, MSEsperanza, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lycaena, ukxmrv, sebaaa and 12 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get this of course. But I ask because I'm really perplexed--it just seems like such a stupid thing in this context for this illness by people who really seem to know nothing about it, or about core outcomes, or about anything, and have no record of publishing on it except to complain about NICE.

I guess my question is, has someone seen this as a big hole in the current literature? The CBT/GET ideologues staked out their core outcomes--fatigue and physical function--decades ago. Do these people think they're now going to reaffirm those as the "core outrcomes," or what?

lycaena, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think it is a hole in the current approach to ME/CFS research - done well, a set of agreed outcome measures would be great e.g. a good subjective fatigue measure, actimetry measures (e.g. time with feet on the ground, daily steps), some subjective global health measure, maybe a cognition measure... with requirements about how long the actimetry is done for, not just a week or even a month, requirements for followup to check that the answers on subjective surveys weren't just an expression of hope/gratitude/politeness immediately after an intervention. Currently, even good researchers use different surveys, making comparisons difficult, and can get actimetry outcomes wrong. Things like the 6 minute walk test are too prone to varying motivation.

But yes, it looks like some BPS/insurance people have latched onto that Metablind study and want to set in concrete their existing approach of just subjective surveys, probably including the CFQ and HADS, and sweep any inconvenient criticism away.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    lycaena, ukxmrv, MSEsperanza and 11 others like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The home page of the Comet initiative says this:

Reading more of their website:
    It was set up from a meeting in Liverpool UK in 2010 and expanded to be more international.

It seems to me to be a bit like Cochrane in that people who write the Cochrane reviews, and people who do these core outcome sets for COMET, seem to be self selected and free to insert their own biases into the process.

lycaena, Ariel, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suggest we start an alternative, else we get stuck with the above.

What will it take to get 'something better' off the ground?

I know many of us were interested in the idea of composite outcome measures that also explicitly consider baseline measures, rather than pretending that some numerical improvement on a scale has the same outcomes for different patients regardless of their underling level of heath.

lycaena, FMMM1, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  9. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that would be very worthwhile if we had some people left with the resources to be involved.

I imagine the Cochrane IAG discuss this topic as well and perhaps Busse et al want to be quicker than the IAG / influence the Cochrane people involved.

As shown in the other thread, the Busse / GRADE team has strong links to Cochrane and overlaps, respectively.

And https://www.s4me.info/threads/bmj-r...-grade-working-group.19317/page-8#post-328665

No idea if there's any reason to still be hopeful that the IAG will open up the discussion in any meaningful / effective way so that people on S4ME, their critique and suggestions made here on the forum as well as in academic papers and other publications could participate.

There still seem to be people at Cochrane who have the courage to publicly criticize the endeavor to give up reasonable methodological standards -- see e.g. Andrew Moore (*) -- could there be some dissent and prudence at Cochrane that we just aren't aware of?

(*) Andrew Moore on Twitter @Healthy_Control @cochranecollab @susan_bewley .:

"Yes, they have been particularly resistant to experience and knowledge originating from outside the centre of Cochrane: "There's no knowledge but I know it". It was a built in fault as they had no effective quality control. @metanutter said it - adjust RoB etc depending......" / Twitter
    Thank you to @Caroline Struthers for your perseverance in getting people involved to question bad science / research practices with regard to ME/CFS.

And Andrew Moore, if you happen to read this, thank you for speaking out.

(Edited to add links.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    lycaena, Ariel, Mij and 4 others like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

Yes, Busse's tweet is an extreme misrepresentation of the findings of the Metablind study.

I wonder if the authors should be informed about that.

Haven't read Moustgaard's et al follow-up paper [*] but already in response to the reaction on their bmj paper they repeatedly warned against misinterpreting their findings.

E.g., they acknowledged Andrew Moore's critique:

"As discussed in our paper (1), and our follow-up paper (2), there are strong theoretical reasons to expect bias in non-blinded trials, backed by previous empirical studies (see our general comment ‘MetaBLIND in context’). These reasons may be particularly convincing in the case of pain trials, where lack of blinding of patients in particular would be expected to have a large impact.

"Andrew Moore cites empirical evidence to back this, in the form of comparisons of effect estimates from blinded and non-blinded trials of acupuncture for pain. We agree that there is especially strong empirical evidence to support blinding of patients in acupuncture pain trials. A systematic review of 12 trials that directly randomized patients to otherwise identical blind and nonblind sub-trials, found 10 acupuncture sub-trials, and reported substantially exaggerated effects sizes (3).

"In our study, we aimed to evaluate empirically to what extent lack of blinding impacts on effect estimates, for trials in general. We found no evidence for an impact of lack of blinding, on average. [...]

"What may explain the discrepancy in results between the MetaBLIND study and previous empirical research, for example (3) and (4), is not clear, though we note that we included no trials of acupuncture for pain in MetaBLIND."

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.l6802/rr-8

And another response by Moustgaard et al:

Moderation of risk of bias criteria for randomized trials is not warranted based on the MetaBLIND study

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.l6802/rr-7

"We interpret our results with caution, and find that moderation of the risk of bias criteria regarding blinding, based on our results, would be premature. We discuss this in our main paper (1) and in our follow-up publication (2). Replication of our study, as well as other further research is warranted to elucidate the role of blinding in clinical trials. [...]"

As others have pointed out, there's still more to criticize. It's a pity that the authors didn't reply to Michiel Tack's detailed critique, published in the Journal of Health Psychology:

Tack M. Problems with the MetaBLIND study: An examination of data on blinding patients in trials with patient-reported outcomes. Journal of Health Psychology. 2021;0(0). doi:10.1177/13591053211059391
    Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ents_in_trials_with_patient-reported_outcomes

[*] Moustgaard H, Jones HE, Savović J, Clayton GL, Sterne JA, Higgins JP, Hróbjartsson A. Ten questions to consider when interpreting results of a meta-epidemiological study-the MetaBLIND study as a case. Res Synth Methods. 2020 Mar;11(2):260-274. doi: 10.1002/jrsm.1392. Epub 2020 Jan 20. PMID: 31851427.
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...logical_study_-_the_MetaBLIND_study_as_a_case

(Edited to add researchgate links)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Snow Leopard, Lilas, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

We seem to have two threads on this - one from @Snow Leopard on a poll. I have posted there but this may be the right place for COMET specific comments.

The fact that COMET is UK derived - maybe Liverpool derived - is another telltale sign (@dave30th ) that this is a deliberate counter-attack by people who think they know a lot about ME and want to reinforce their ramparts against activity snipers. This looks like McMaster trying to bolster their reputation in the woo-woo field of therapist delivered treatments under guise of quality control. The Canadian equivalent of Glasziou I guess.

RedFox, Lilas, MSEsperanza and 6 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

I have mentioned this on the poll thread. It will take a grant application and a fair wind on the politics side. That might mean making sure people like Stephen Holgate are informed and in favour. Some of the potential funding bodies include people who might be resistant but if a good professional mathematician is included in a grant proposal it might get through even at MRC level. It need not be a huge grant in cost terms. What matters is getting a peer reviewed approved project and some good people prepared to devote time. That will have to include someone who has skills in grant writing, which is not me.

Esther12, RedFox, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. MSEsperanza

Thanks for posting -- both to Scott and Dolphin.

Transcript:

Heads up! A threat to our community: A known psychologizer of #MEcfs and #LongCovid with connections to the insurance industry is approaching patient organizations to support their 'research' project known as "Core Outcome Set for CFS/ME" or "Comet-initiative".

Have there been any replies?

(Can't see, don't have Twitter/X account)