1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Combination of whole body cryotherapy with static stretching ... reduces fatigue and improves functioning of the [ANS] in CFS, 2022, Kujawski et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title:
    Combination of whole body cryotherapy with static stretching exercises reduces fatigue and improves functioning of the autonomic nervous system in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Abstract

Background

The aim of this study was to explore the tolerability and effect of static stretching (SS) and whole body cryotherapy (WBC) upon fatigue, daytime sleepiness, cognitive functioning and objective and subjective autonomic nervous system functioning in those with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) compared to a control population.

Methods
    Thirty-two CFS and eighteen healthy controls (HC) participated in 2 weeks of a SS + WBC programme. This programme was composed of five sessions per week, 10 sessions in total.

Results
    A significant decrease in fatigue was noted in the CFS group in response to SS + WBC. Some domains of cognitive functioning (speed of processing visual information and set-shifting) also improved in response to SS + WBC in both CFS and HC groups. Our study has confirmed that WBC is well tolerated by those with CFS and leads to symptomatic improvements associated with changes in cardiovascular and autonomic function.

Conclusions
    Given the preliminary data showing the beneficial effect of cryotherapy, its relative ease of application, good tolerability, and proven safety, therapy with cold exposure appears to be an approach worth attention. Further studies of cryotherapy as a potential treatment in CFS is important in the light of the lack of effective therapeutic options for these common and often disabling symptoms.

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-022-03460-1

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2022
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I live in eastern Canada and a brisk 5 minute walk in mid January could render the same effects?

sebaaa, Hutan, AndroidEeyore and 9 others like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh:
    I looked up the coldest temperature ever recorded on earth: − 93.2 °C. That's still warmer than the temperatures used in this study.

Mij, AndroidEeyore, Keela Too and 4 others like this.
  5. ahimsa

bobbler, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  6. Mij

I'm wondering if temperatures for this type of therapy have to be that freezing cold in order to have positive benefits?

Most ppl with autonomic issues feel better in cooler/colder temperatures.

Hutan, Keela Too, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  7. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m wondering what happens if you get stuck inside the cryo machine?! That would be my fear.

Mij and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You wouldn't get stuck in a machine because an employee has to be with you the entire session.

I used to do whole body cryotherapy. There are several businesses in town that have the chambers. At the ones I've been to, they check your BP before and after and require providing a health information background before the 1st session.

My sessions have been 3 minutes. Everyone wears wool socks, and women remove all their clothes, and men remove everything but their underwear. You put on wool slippers, don a robe, and then ring a bell so the employee comes in to start the session. Then the employee keeps talking to you because engaging in conversation makes it more bearable. At the end of a session, the employee opens the chamber door for you and then leaves so you can get dressed.

I found it exhilarating afterwards, but would sometimes have a hard time sleeping, even though I always did it in the morning. Many people find it actually helps their sleep. Over time, it did ease my pain quite a bit.

I'm going to do another session soon since it's been some years since I've done cryotherapy. My sleep is much better than it used to be, so maybe I wouldn't get the insomnia effect.

My doctor of physical medicine looked into cryotherapy some years back and said it was safe because it's such a short time you are exposed to the low temperatures, but that it's not effective for everyone.

I didn't think the 3 minutes in the chamber were bad at all. They have you slowly turn around in the chamber, maybe just for the distraction. But I am someone who would much prefer generally to be too cold rather than too hot.

10. ahimsa

Yes, that could be possible. I do feel better in the cold, just posted about it on another thread.

By the way, I hope my earlier post didn't look like I was laughing *at* you! :eek::bag:

I thought you were making a joke about how cold it got Canada so I posted a laughing emoji.

Anyway, so sorry if there was any confusion!

Binkie4, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  11. ahimsa

@perchance dreamer - thanks for posting the details of your experience with cryotherapy.

Can you share what country this was in?

12. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@ahimsa, I live in Austin, Texas. It's sizable enough to have several different cryotherapy businesses.

The cat in your avatar is beautiful! My sister has a pair of marbled tabbies.

Binkie4, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how this extreme cold air treatment might compare to moderate cold water treatments?

A daily cold shower is much more accessible. And as I understand it, water (especially running water) is likely to draw heat from the body more quickly than air of the same temperature (especially if the air is still).

Of course, the temperatures quoted here seem very extreme, so perhaps a simple cold water shower wouldn’t be nearly cold enough?

That said I have recently started having a 2-3 mins cold shower each morning. Usually it is right after a warmer 2-3 mins getting washed.

It took a while to get used to this, but now I find I enjoy it.

A big plus already is that I’ve been sleeping much better. I’ve done this for almost 2 weeks now.

I started it because I thought I was feeling better on the days I had a dip in the sea.

Has anyone else tried any cold sessions?

Binkie4, Hutan, AndroidEeyore and 4 others like this.
  14. Mij

In a few months the temperatures here in eastern Canada will be going down to -20's. I feel much better in the colder months.

I also take cooler showers in the evening, not the mornings. Helps me sleep better.

15. Sly Saint

Merged thread

Polish researcher proposes treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome

https://scienceinpoland.pl/en/news/news,94823,polish-researcher-proposes-treatment-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2023
    Binkie4, Hutan and Trish like this.
  16. Sly Saint

curious that he says CFS is overdiagnosed and yet used Fukuda(?)

eta: this group seem to be out of touch with regards ME/CFS. would be good to get some communication with them(?) to find out why.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Hutan, oldtimer and Trish like this.
  17. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Better off trialling cryonics and defrosting us when there is a cure.

bobbler, shak8, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This study will be discussed at the next IACFSME Journal Club. 1 pm 14 April New York time.

Slawomir Kujawski, PhD
    Nicolaus Copernicus University
    Department of Exercise Physiology and Functional Anatomy
    Toruń, Poland

Abnormal and prolonged recovery after physical, cognitive, emotional, and orthostatic stressors in ME/CFS may be due to a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system. For many years, athletes have experimented with cold water or similar exposure to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system in the hopes of accelerating recovery after exercise. Do such treatments hold any promise for ME/CFS? Drs. Slawomir Kujawski and Pawel Zalewski will discuss possible benefits of cryotherapy and static stretching on various ME/CFS symptoms.
    https://nova.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VR-_zpNRSoO9YnSAQYZN0g

Binkie4, Trish, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  19. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A couple more months, ie heat wave, and I'm ready to cryonic.

20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Certainly the ideas about prevalence and diagnostic criteria in this paper look worth talking about. The problems with English in that second sentence is representative of the paper.

Here's another sentence with difficult language; I think probably every second sentence has at least one error. I don't think this is a preprint and yet problems with the English make it hard to work out what was meant in places. Problems like this also decrease the credibility of the paper. If someone gets the chance, they could mention that Science for ME could probably help the Polish researchers find a volunteer to proofread future papers.

(I'm not sure what Julia Newton's role was in this paper, but it clearly wasn't doing a final proof read. When you have a native English speaker on the author list, I'm struggling to see why language of this quality should make it to the published paper. It seems like many people, including the peer reviewers and editors, just didn't care enough; it feels like disrespect to people with ME/CFS and to the research.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    JemPD, NelliePledge, Trish and 2 others like this.