1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cognitive task performance and subjective cognitive symptoms in individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia, 2022, Joustra et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Cognitive task performance and subjective cognitive symptoms in individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia: A cross-sectional analysis of the Lifelines cohort study

Abstract

Objective
    This study examined cognitive task performance and self-reported cognitive functioning in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM) in a population-based sample and investigated the role of mood and anxiety disorders as well as severity of the physical symptoms.

Methods
    This study was performed in 79,966 participants (Mean age: 52.9, SD = ±12.6 years, 59.2% women) from the Lifelines general-population. Symptoms consistent with the diagnostic criteria for CFS and FM were assessed using questionnaires. Two comparison groups were used: participants with self-reported medical disorders with well-defined pathophysiology (i.e., multiple sclerosis and rheumatic arthritis) and controls without these diseases. Objective task-performance was based on the computerized CogState cognitive battery and subjective cognitive symptoms using the concentration subscale of the Checklist Individual Strength.

Results
    Cognitive task performance was poorer in individuals with CFS vs. controls without disease and controls with a medical disorder, although the severity of cognitive dysfunction was mild. Participants meeting criteria for CFS (n = 2,461) or FM (n = 4,295) reported more subjective cognitive symptoms compared to controls without a medical disorder (d = 1.53, 95%CI = 1.49-1.57 for CFS; d = 1.25, 95%CI = 1.22-1.29 for FM) and participants with a medical disease (d = 0.62, 95%CI = 0.46-0.79 for CFS; d = 0.75, 95%CI = 0.70-0.80 for FM). These differences remained essentially the same when excluding participants with comorbid mood or anxiety disorders or adjusting for physical symptom severity.

Conclusions
    Subjective cognitive symptoms and to a lesser extent suboptimal cognitive task performance are more prevalent in individuals with CFS or FM compared to controls without these conditions.

Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/psychosoma...itive_task_performance_and_subjective.47.aspx

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The cause of MS was literally discovered this year and there's a lot more work ahead to figure out how it actually causes the disease. This is not well-defined by any reasonable definition. Of course what they mean is diseases that aren't discriminated, but it sounds bad to admit.

Mithriel, Amw66, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't have access to the paper but I wonder if diagnosis of CFS was self-reported.

Michelle, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would have been more interesting if a comparator for Cognitive disfunction after exertion had been assessed.

Michelle and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think it was, going by previous studies based on the Lifelines data.

Michelle, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  6. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Severity of cognitive dysfunction may well be mild in ME in a short lived task. I can manage most cognitive things quite well once or twice but then get worse until I am not only cognitively challenged but unable to stand, dizzy and with a racing heart.

Tests on people with ME always need to be done with us exerted. That has been known for fifty years.

Grigor, Sean, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.