1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cognitive behavioural responses to envy: development of a new measure - Oct 2019 Chalder et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-new-measure/B5FB2609EFAF7A1BDEC2C243B74488EF

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1017/S1352465819000614

where's that pointed stick @Lucibee
    (interesting that they cite Eysenck)

Lidia, Lucibee, fossil and 6 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think my brain has gone soggy.

I looked at the word Eysenck and my brain read:
    [​IMG]
    Eeyore.

How could that happen. The words don't look even vaguely the same.

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Lidia and 10 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That really does not suggest a competent measure. At all. Envy is a well-known trait of the very rich and the ordinary rich, always looking at what others have and wanting more. It serves as a status to outdo and make others red with envy. Definitely not people who have low self-esteem or quality of life.

Sounds a lot like typical cherry-picking that Chalder produces, seemingly at a pretty high churn rate.

About Eysenck:
    I have no idea how someone can call that a biological theory of personality. Sounds like a lot of pseudoscience nonsense.

MEMarge, Mithriel, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  4. fossil

fossil Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish, I read the title of the thread and thought the author was boasting about how well patients are responding to her version of CBT...

Look at me, look at me!
    They respond so well to my CBT!

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Eh? The definition of envy according to Collins is
    "Envy is the feeling you have when you wish you could have the same thing or quality that someone else has".

Since when does it have anything to do with wanting to destroy that which is envied? that's something else. That's malice or whatever, you can have one without the other.
    I'm certain of this because I envy the health and the lives of many people I love, but that doesn't mean I want to wreck them or destroy them and I resent the inference that it would.

So now common emotions are being redefined are they? twisted to become what they want them to be rather than what they actually are... was doing it to a disease not enough?

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Mithriel and 12 others like this.
  6. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the new fashion to say that people struggling with financial hardship are just jealous of the rich. Rather than, you know, just wanting a reasonable quality of life for themselves and their family.

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This. There is a critical difference between wanting to also have what somebody else has, and wanting to deny it to them because you don't have it.

Useful source of power and income.

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Babble babble babble babble ad nauseum

9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't this the recognised procedure for success?. Discover what you are good at. Find a niche in the market. Pursue relentlessly.

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Wonko like this.
  11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly Wiki says this about envy

Psychologists have recently suggested that there are two types of envy: malicious envy and benign envy—malicious envy being proposed as a sick force that ruins a person and his/her mind and causes the envious person to blindly want the "hero" to suffer; on the other hand, benign envy being proposed as a type of positive motivational force that causes the person to aspire to be as good as the "hero"—but only if benign envy is used in a right way.

It does also suggest that according to Russell

Not only is the envious person rendered unhappy by his or her envy, Russell explained, but that person may also wish to inflict misfortune on others, in forms of emotional abuse and violent acts of criminality.

Words mean what you want them to mean (Humpty Dumpty).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like the definition comes from the same general sources as the P-E-N thing from Eysenck, rooted in simplistic explanations of pathological behavior rather than normal human behavior. Redefining common words seems almost universal in psychosomatic medicine and psychobabble in general.

MEMarge, JemPD, chrisb and 2 others like this.
  13. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Strikes me that redefining desire for social justice, or even just justice, as envy, is an effective political strategy to excuse a lot of what is wrong in this world.

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.