1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CNN POTS article: “A doctor said it was all in her head“

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by c37, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. c37

c37 Established Member (Voting Rights)

2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good article and coverage. It's a pity that Lauren Stiles promoted exercise without caution seeing that a huge percentage of POTS patients have a dual diagnosis of ME/CFS (she did mention that many POTS patients are bedridden and I suspect that most of them are Team ME). As the head of Dysautonomia International, she should be more informed. Since MEAction was present at the last conference, I hope there is more involvement and awareness going forward.

Chezboo, Hutan, Esther12 and 4 others like this.
  3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely Beth and I challenged the idea of exercise for all. One clinician who sat in on one of the exercise lectures challenged the speaker about ME at my request (I was in another conference room). But that presenter was clearly outlining pacing: "don't push the patient past their energy limits, slow and steady / gentle, active when you can be active, rest when you need to rest" type stuff. They also seemed to accommodate a range of ability levels. "Pillow squeezes" as an exercise is something I'd never heard of, but understood immediately. The clinician in question said agreed that all of this was great but that when she specifically brought up ME, the speaker claimed that exercise was "good for everybody".

Others were pushing exercise harder. At a conference session Beth attended, though, intense exercise was recommended (which, to be frank, would probably destroy anyone with OI, much less ME!) It was (probably) this one:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010574991929196544

In both cases, they'll see a lot of ME patients and they need to be aware how damaging exercise can be for us. Hopefully an ME speaker next year!