1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinical Correlates of Functional Motor Disorders: An Italian Multicenter Study, 2020, Tinazzi et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mdc3.13077
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1002/mdc3.13077

oldtimer likes this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so many names put to a meaningless document when will they actually come up with some evidence to support this notion that psychiatric disorders cause symptoms .neurology seems to be heading to the bottom of the barrel for opinion based medicine it is a road that will cause maximum suffering for patients and guarantees stigmatisation of anyone given an fnd diagnosis.

3. MFraumeni

MFraumeni Established Member

I have found this article in press of great benefit to my thinking as someone "diagnosed" with CD/FND by neurologists and one psychiatrist (and with parkinsonism of undetermined nature by a research geriatrician where I was assessed for a study but an exclusion criteria was parkinsonism). The author is a forensic psychologist and quite approachable via email for feedback. The journal unfortunately is not indexed in Pubmed so it seems:

Functional Neurological Disorders and Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures: Neurologic Disease NOT a ‘Functional Etiology’

"FND and PNES investigators remain highly invested in the ‘functional’ etiology and show confirmation bias in their interpretation of the empirical data. The ongoing misdiagnosis of neurologic disease and epilepsy as FND and PNES is the real crisis in neurology."

http://www.scienceinquest.com/open-access/fulltext/jnpd/functional-neurological-disorders-and-psychogenic-nonepileptic-seizures-neurologic-disease-not-a-functional-etiology.php

Below is a paraphrasing of the author's response to me on email when I mentioned to her I found her article very refreshing looking at CD/FND in an "organic" sense rather than how the neurologists and one psychiatrist I have seen as a pure psychiatric disorder.

Thank you for your response. It is so good to hear that you found a medical professional outside neurology to assist you!! I actually cite another article by Barnum in my article. The diagnostic practice in neurology (pushed by a powerful faction) is alarming and has incalculable consequences;, both physical and psychological. The powers that are invested in these erroneous diagnoses had my first article on PNES retracted and then removed from the International Journal of Epilepsy, a reputable journal with reputable reviewers. Suppression. I would encourage you to disseminate my article to the neurologists and the psychiatrist who insist you have psychogenic symptoms-as well as your family doctor and the geriatrician. This is a grass roots movement and every person misdiagnosed can participate to change what is happening!
    Be well and Do Good.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020