Trial Report Clinical and Laboratory Characteristics of Fatigue-dominant Long-COVID subjects: A Cross-Sectional Study, 2024, Lee

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Dolphin, Feb 9, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(24)00057-3/fulltext

CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDY|ARTICLES IN PRESS

Clinical and Laboratory Characteristics of Fatigue-dominant Long-COVID subjects: A Cross-Sectional Study
    Published:February 06, 2024DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2024.01.025

Abstract

Background
    Long-COVID is defined by persistent symptoms following COVID-19 infection. Approximately 71% of individuals with long-COVID experience ongoing fatigue, post-exertional malaise, and cognitive impairments, which share pathological similarities with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). This similarity has prompted studies to explore the characteristics of long-COVID to gain a better understanding of ME/CFS. To gain insights, we investigated the clinical and laboratory characteristics of individuals with fatigue-dominant long-COVID.

Methods

We enrolled 100 subjects (36 males, 64 females) with long-COVID who had a higher score than 60 in modified Korean version of the Chalder Fatigue Scale (mKCFQ11) and higher than 5 in fatigue-focused Visual Analogue Scale (VAS). To investigate fatigue symptoms, the mKCFQ11, the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory (MFI-20), and VAS for fatigue and brain-fog, along with the Short Form Survey (SF-12) were employed. We also measured three cytokines and cortisol levels for immunological and endocrinological indicators. As a cross-sectional observational study, the data were collected at a single point in time.

Results

The mean scores on the measurements showed severe fatigue, and these scores were significantly correlated, with no differences based on sex, the post-COVID period, or age. Among the laboratory tests, plasma cortisol levels had a significant negative correlation with fatigue scores and a positive correlation with living quality. The negative correlation between cortisol levels and mKCFQ11 scores appeared to be more specific to mental fatigue than physical, which conflicted with other measurements.

Conclusion

Our findings provide the first insights into the characteristics of fatigue in individuals with long-COVID, particularly in terms of fatigue severity and cortisol levels. These results serve as valuable reference data for clinicians dealing with fatigue symptoms in long-COVID patients and for researchers exploring post-viral fatigue symptoms, including ME/CFS, in the future.
    Keywords

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Korean team, there's a paywall.

It appears to be more cortisol nonsense. We know that cortisol levels vary, within normal ranges, with physical activity levels and that these adapted levels can change in a matter of weeks. If someone is routinely having physical stress, they will have higher cortisol levels than someone who is not. Someone with severe Long Covid /ME/CFS won't be rushing about, and so doesn't have a need for cortisol levels at the high end of normal. They are more likely to have a level at the low end of normal.

The fact that the authors don't report in the abstract a finding of abnormal cortisol levels for this population (i.e. relative to healthy populations) suggests to me that there wasn't one.

rvallee, lycaena, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yet —

Trish and Hutan like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

That suggests it was an early morning fasted sample for the cortisol, but it's not specified.

Trish and Hutan like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

6. SNT Gatchaman

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 4.08.12 PM copy.jpg

Hutan likes this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

I think those outliers are doing a lot of heavy lifting for the correlation. As usual cortisol doesn't seem particularly helpful.

Distinguishing features of Long COVID identified through immune profiling (2023, Nature) had said —

Sean, EndME and Hutan like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, so the more common claim (as exemplified in that 2023 Nature paper SNT quoted above) is that cortisol is slightly lower in LC and ME/CFS compared to healthy controls. And yet, in this one they report higher levels than normal. But they didn't have healthy controls, so maybe the supposedly higher cortisol was just the product of a bias in the analysis.

I'm not even sure that the average levels the authors report really are 'higher than the known range of healthy controls generally'. See this, for example, from the NIH:
    If the techniques are the same, and it is a morning sample, then the reported levels aren't high.

I agree, those charts shown in post 6 suggest that the claim of a negative correlation between cortisol with fatigue is simply an artefact of those few outliers.

Trish and EndME like this.