1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinical and epidemiological data of COVID-19 from Regensburg, Germany: a retrospective analysis of 1084 consecutive cases, 2021, Lampl et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Background

COVID-19 is a syndrome caused by the recently emerged SARS-CoV-2. We collected clinical and epidemiologic data in an almost complete cohort of SARS-CoV-2 positive individuals from Regensburg, Germany, from March 2020 to May 2020.

Methods
    Analysis of a retrospectively documented cohort of consecutive COVID-19 cases recorded between March 7, 2020 and May 24, 2020 as part of an infection control investigation program, with prospective follow-up interviews gathering information on type and duration of symptoms and COVID-19 risk factors until June 26, 2020.

Results
    Of 1089 total cases, 1084 (99.5%) cases were included. The incidence during the time period was 315.4/100,000, lower than in the superordinate government district Oberpfalz (468.5/100,000) and the overall state of Bavaria (359.7/100,000). The case fatality ratio (CFR) was 2.1%. Among fatal cases, the mean age was 74.4 years and 87% presented with known risk factors, most commonly chronic heart disease, chronic lung disease, kidney disease, and diabetes mellitus. 897 cases (82.7%) showed at least one symptom, most frequently cough (45%) and fever (41%). Further, 18% of cases suffered from odour/taste disorder. 17% of total cases reported no symptoms. The median duration of general illness was 10 days. During follow-up, 8.9% of 419 interviewed cases reported at least one symptom lasting at least 6 weeks, and fatigue was the most frequent persistent symptom.

Discussion
    We report data on type and duration of symptoms, and clinical severity of nearly all (99.5%) patients with SARS-CoV-2 recorded from March 2020 to May 2020 in Regensburg. A broad range of symptoms and symptom duration was seen, some of them lasting several weeks in a considerable number of cases. The case-fatality ratio was 2.1%. Asymptomatic cases may be underrepresented due to the nature of the study.

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s15010-021-01580-2

2. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long covid estimate of 9% max
    assuming I have understood the method right, this was a fairly comprehensive and unbiased original sample. Which means this could be giving us a decent estimate of the rates of long Covid; this implies a rate of only 9% at six weeks, which is lower than quite a few other estimates.

However, this data comes from a subset who were interviewed by phone, and there was only 50% response rate "A total of 419 of 834 eligible patients responded to the telephone interview". (In CFS/fatigue studies like this I've seen, people who are still ill are more likely to participate in followp-up).

Table 2
    Subjective recovery at time of interview: 406 (96.4%)
    This would give a Covid rate of 3.6%, though it's not clear to me (because I haven't read the full study) when the interview was done relative to the start of infection.

ME/CFS Skeptic, FMMM1, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks interesting, thanks to Andy and Simon for highlighting it.

Only 2.6% reported persistent fatigue at week 6.

Andy likes this.