1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleveland Clinic: 9 Reasons You’re Always Feeling Tired (includes CFS)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Wyva, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The relevant part:

Difference between feeling tired and chronic fatigue

If you have persistent, crippling fatigue that lasts 6 months or longer, you may have chronic fatigue syndrome.

“Chronic fatigue syndrome has been studied more in the past five to 10 years,” says Dr. Ankerman. “Before it was thought of to be more of a psychiatric diagnosis.”

Those with chronic fatigue syndrome may experience symptoms like:

• Muscle aches.
    • Difficulty sleeping.
    • Flu-like symptoms including joint pain and swollen lymph nodes.
    • Attention and memory problems.
    “It can be debilitating,” says Dr. Ankerman.

While there is no cure for chronic fatigue syndrome, it can be managed with cognitive behavioral therapy and medication like sleep aids.

“It’s so important to talk to your doctor if you’re having symptoms,” says Dr. Ankerman. “If you’re concerned that this could be something more than just run-of-the-mill tiredness, they can help.”

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-am-i-so-tired/

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How about not being able to stand or walk from point A to point B and back again?

Sure, your doctor can r/o out other medical conditions first. After that you're on your own when all your tests come back 'normal'.

3. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i can be ok with them not acknowledging how severe the illness can be but this whole "your doctor can help" thing seriously has to stop. NOTHING CAN BE DONE, THERE IS NO TREATMENT. This needs to be written everywhere, in full caps if possible.

4. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"it can be managed with cognitive behavioral therapy and medication like sleep aids"

Is pretty brutal in how well it subtly dismisses the seriousness of ME/CFS...

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Publicity article touting for trade

Wyva, Barry, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is what my ME doctor told me in 1992-2001. He said that any doctor who tells you differently is only after your money, or using you as his 'guinea pig' to see if their treatments work.

In 2021 there is more information regarding autonomic issues (POTS, OI), particularly as it relates to LC, so this is one area where there are actual treatments, but most GPs are ignorant as to how this relates to pwME, and how debilitating it is.

Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and Wonko like this.
  7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I've heard about the way ME/CFS patients are treated at the Cleveland Clinic, I'd say that they certainly won't help.

They will, most likely, harm the patient instead.

8. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my bolding
    Cleveland uses a similar system (CBT & unspoken Graded Exercise) as the Mayo Clinic up in Minnesota.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...cephalomyelitischronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs

ola_cohn, Art Vandelay, shak8 and 4 others like this.