1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning tips and recommendations for cleaning products

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Arnie Pye, Feb 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I recently started getting my cleaners to change the bed for me there are 2 of them so it takes them no time at all to strip the dirty bed linen and put clean on. So I get clean sheets every fortnight now rather than every couple of months. I used to do the bedding as 3 different tasks pillowcases duvet cover and bottom sheet.
    I have 4 pillows on the bed and I would swap them round so I was still putting my head/face on a relatively fresh pillowcase.

2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My solution at my old house was to ask my home help to change the beds in both bedrooms, and I'd sleep in one for a week and then move to the other.

The spare room in the new house is tiny and where I keep my indoor wheelchair (and piles of other stuff that hasn't yet got a proper place), so I haven't yet decided whether or not I'm going to put a bed in there. But I'm not struggling to work with ME these days, so changing the bed isn't quite such an issue as it used to be – I can dedicate a day to it now!

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My top duvet covet changing method - if you can't get someone else to do which is far better -

When handling the duvet I tend to roll it up as it makes for easier handling.

Make sure duvet cover is inside out.

Place it pattern or top side down on the bed and spread it out fully. Opening end at foot of bed.

Unroll duvet on top of the cover & match the sides up as best you can - no need to be really fussy.

Then, from the head of the bed down, roll up the duvet cover and the duvet together, towards the foot of the bed. Doesn't need to be very tightly rolled, just firmly.

When you get to the bottom, at the bottom corners of the duvet, one side at a time, pull the bottom corner of the duvet and the roll through.

As you look at the other side of the roll (the bed head side) you will see you can unfold/unroll the covered duvet back towards the head of the bed.

Continue on and your duvet will be unrolled in the cover, with the cover right side up and the right way out. Fasten the ends of the cover.

The big advantage is you're not lifting the weight of the duvet, or shaking it with the arms outstretched.

4. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wow haha. I actually shared this tip on the ‘other forum’ years ago (maybe 9 years ago) with a link to a YouTube video. But I forgot how to do it years ago. It’s just reminded me haha

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know it's come up before. I remember describing it before too. Maybe elsewhere as you say @Hell..hath..no..fury...

It does make a difference. I can change a double duvet using this method & my winter duvet is one of those that clips together sets - a 3.5 tog with a 10 tog. So bulky.

I still have to do it in separate goes. Strip it (sometimes in one go, sometimes 2 or 3), then clean sheet on base, then pillow cases, then duvet cover.

It's also easier if the duvet opens all the way across the bottom, it can still be done if it doesn't though.

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One thing I hated for years is that I would wash clothes, they would come out smelling fresh, then when I wore them my body heat would warm up the clothes, and a stale sweat smell would come off. There have been times throughout my life when I have thrown away clothes that were in good condition because I could never get rid of smells. No amount of washing or soaking would help. I always used fairly standard washing liquids and powders found in a typical supermarket - Bold, Ariel, Persil, Surf, supermarket own brand. I tried Bio and Non-bio. None of them made any difference.

I've found a product that I've been using for a couple of years now that does actually get rid of nasty smells including sweat, so I thought I'd pass it on. It helps to extend the life of my clothes and reduces waste.

HALO PROACTIVE SPORTS WASH LIQUID

Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HALO-PROACTIVE-SPORTS-LIQUID-LITRE/dp/B003WGL0C6/ref=sr_1_1
    It is sometimes sold on Amazon as single bottles and sometimes in a triple pack. I have found that when both options are offered that buying three singles can sometimes work out cheaper than buying a triple pack, so always check.

It can be used for any kinds of washing, and can also be helpful for doing pet related washing.

Another source for this product which I've also used is :

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive-sports-wash-laundry-detergent-1-litre

and I've just found that Sainsbury's sell it online (I haven't looked for it in a physical shop because of lockdown), and they are currently the cheapest I can find.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...wder/halo-sports-laundry-liquid-1l-25-washes-

Some sports websites sell it too.

Prices vary quite a lot, so always shop around.

NelliePledge likes this.