1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic pain syndromes and other persistent functional somatic symptoms, 2020, Roenneburg et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 22, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00115-020-00917-w
    Sci hub access to PDF (in German?), https://sci-hub.tw/https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00115-020-00917-w

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do envy the people who write this garbage. They've clearly never experienced severe pain that goes on and on and on, that nobody believes in and for which no treatment is forthcoming. It must be nice to be in that situation.

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As my mother would say, "Give me 5 minutes alone with them in a room".

MEMarge, alktipping, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could be worse.

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We might have to endure 5 minutes in a room with them. Oh, wait a minute, I have .... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. This thing where we would essentially need every physician to experience every disease in the book in order to understand them is a seriously lousy way of doing things.

It reminds me of the people who think it's no big deal to be waterboarded and that they could handle it easily since it doesn't do any damage. Those delusions usually last a whole handful of seconds. People who have never experienced genuine hardship and act as if it were them it would be easy to deal with: just don't think about it. Juvenile nonsense. This is how children think. And not particularly smart children at that. I mean no disrespect here, some people are just bad at their job and this kind of garbage published here is what it looks like.
    I can't make sense of this. What the physician thinks or experiences can have an impact on making pain chronic in their patients? What the hell is this charlatanism and/or exactly how much drugs are these people taking? How does that even work with the known laws of the universe? Are we telepaths? Corrupting witches? The hell?

7. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A version fitting better to the original may be (if it is not too clumsy):

I think it involves the distinguishing of being affected through themselves or through others (coming from the one or another), and of taking it up as something, so making it.

And this then allows for the difference of unconsciously and consciously deeds, because what comes from yourself might be something unfavourable, but you make it favourable when you receive it, and living in a kind of lie. But you could change it. And this is the suggested entry of healing. Only that it doesn´t applie here.

Though also, that such (basically Freudian) theory is pretty difficult and not well elaborated, if you ask me. It should be also interesting that the English version is such more unclear, that the theory is not detectable. So probably they themselves apply something unconsciously but aren´t really aware what they are doing.

rvallee likes this.
  8. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)