1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: a survey of GPs' attitudes and knowledge 2005 - Jo Bowen

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Criteria and Naming Discussions' started by Sly Saint, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thought this was an interesting survey; would be even more interesting to have a similar study from the last 5 years or so to compare with.

https://academic.oup.com/fampra/article/22/4/389/662664

some statements to score on:
    I am irritated by these patients, I am filled with despair by such patients..........

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Hutan, Jan, Barry and 6 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Calls for CBT to deal with negative thoughts in my view - replace 'em with:

In General Practice a number of the patients I see would get better of their own accord without any input from me. I treat them with the same level of contempt - why not.

I must learn to understand that people who can hardly drag themselves to the bathroom most days, must have good reason to drag themselves in to see me. Apart from my sparkling charm and wit of course.

If these patients were not sick they would not need me.

If these patients did not need me I would be out of a (well paid) job.

Without these patients I would be unable to pay my mortgage, afford my car, pay the kids school fees, be in line for a very nice pension.

In most jobs people have to deal with difficult or challenging situations all the time. They deal with it - it's a technique called doing your job.

Eta spelling

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    DokaGirl, JemPD, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  3. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i want a survey sent to /all/ doctors and /all/ politicians in congress and parliament and /everybody/ at nih and fda and mrc and nhs that asks things like:

1] people can be bedridden for
    a] they can't
    b] days
    c] weeks
    d] months
    e] years
    f] until they die

2] people have died
    a] true
    b] false

3] there are cases where the room must be completely dark and there must be no noise
    a] true
    b] false

4] people generally recover
    a] true
    b] false

i especially especially especially want francis collins to be handed the survey and i want us to make sure he answers it. and i want to know what his answers are.

i want this so much i can taste it. but i can't put it together for health reasons.

ETA: obviously we only need this survey for statistical samples + key figures, repeated regularly to track knowledge. when i said /all/, i was thinking of those "where do you stand" surveys that groups send to all us congressmen and senators. and letter to all doctors. and letter to every employee of nih.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    DokaGirl, Skycloud, Jan and 2 others like this.