1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Fatigue Exhibits Heterogeneous Autoimmunity Characteristics Which Reflect Etiology, 2022, Danilenko et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is considered to be associated with post-viral complications and mental stress, but the role of autoimmunity also remains promising. A comparison of autoimmune profiles in chronic fatigue of different origin may bring insights on the pathogenesis of this disease.

Thirty-three patients with CFS/ME were divided into three subgroups. The first group included Herpesviridae carriers (group V), the second group included stress-related causes of chronic fatigue (distress, group D), and the third group included idiopathic CFS/ME (group I). Were evaluated thirty-six neural and visceral autoantigens with the ELISA ELI-test (Biomarker, Russia) and compared to 20 healthy donors, either without any fatigue (group H), or “healthy but tired” (group HTd) with episodes of fatigue related to job burnout not fitting the CFS/ME criteria.

β2-glycoprotein-I autoantibodies were increased in CFS/ME patients, but not in healthy participants, that alludes the link between CFS/ME and antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) earlier suspected by Berg et al. (1999). In CFS/ME patients, an increase in levels of autoantibodies towards the non-specific components of tissue debris (double-stranded DNA, collagen) was shown. Both CFS and HTd subgroups had elevated level of autoantibodies against serotonin receptors, glial fibrillary acidic protein and protein S100. Only group V showed an elevation in the autoantibodies towards voltage-gated calcium channels, and only group D had elevated levels of dopamine-, glutamate- and GABA-receptor autoantibodies, as well as NF200-protein autoantibodies. Therefore, increased autoimmune reactions to the multiple neural antigens and to adrenal medullar antigen, but not to other tissue-specific somatic ones were revealed.

An increase in autoantibody levels towards some neural and non-tissue-specific antigens strongly correlated with a CFS/ME diagnosis. Autoimmune reactions were described in all subtypes of the clinically significant chronic fatigue. Visceral complaints in CFS/ME patients may be secondary to the neuroendocrine involvement and autoimmune dysautonomia. CFS may be closely interrelated with antiphospholipid syndrome, that requires further study.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1873-149X/29/2/16/htm

Hutan, MeSci and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting David Berg's work has come up again. Unfortunately, studies are always small, which never gets us to a definitive conclusion.

MeSci and Amw66 like this.