1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Shepherd and Jen Brea on Breakfast Time tomorrow

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jan, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AMAZING!!!

(should I merge this thread with the one above saying it's going to be on tomorrow?)

They just plugged Unrest big time!

And they DID NOT give any psychobabblers ANY airtime.

They took everything that Jen & Charles said and nothing else!

Luther Blissett, Jan, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Wow, they both nailed it. Considering they only had 5 minutes, they were extremely on-point in going after the major issues. Though I think the program editors could have skipped on the "Hysteria" text screen shot, or the other psych one :p

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Far too short, but content was fine IMO. I was a little surprised by the Unrest clips tho, all looked like fairly normal life to me, I may have to upgrade my severity level ;)

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Well, that was quick. I think they had about 2 or 3 minutes. But very good. Both Charles and Jen managed to get the key points across really well, I thought.

5. Trish

They said Unrest will be available to stream on line from next week. Is that just on i-tunes, does anyone know? I don't have i-tunes.

6. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Getting ANY air time is HUGE on the beeb, who are usually in bed with the SMC.

Don't knock it, small steps peeps.

7. Trish

Not knocking it at all. Great progress for the BBC. But, so frustrating waiting through a lot of junk that could easily have been cut or shortened while waiting for it, then it only getting such a short time.

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done. Pretty good. And the fact the BBC aired it is ... amazing. They must sense they need to switch to the winning side.

The one thing I think PwME and advocates always get wrong is when describing PwME as feeling exhausted after exercise, because fit people feel exhausted after exercise too - the innocently uninformed will just say, well yes so do I. It's not so much about the getting exhausted, but so very much about the disastrous recovery pattern - that is one of the key discriminators; I don't really know why that is not made clearer, as it is one of the most crucial things to get across, especially in a short piece.

But though a long paragraph above, overall it was excellent as an awareness piece.

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was my thought. Chatting with the weather lady whilst she danced a little jig, had me thinking, yes, that allows you to shave another 10 sec off the interview!

10. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thought this was really good given the time ....and it looks like being tagged on the end of the program might be a winning strategy. It would have been nice to have had more, but they really did great with the time they had. Can't believe the BBC...feels like things are turning.

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually there was an interview with Jennifer Brae on BBC South-East News earlier in the week (along with another lass from the south-east), so that's good. But we didn't manage to get a plug for the Crowborough showing!

12. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watched on Iplayer, it was really good. Charles and Jen did very well to get so much across n such a short time.

Barry, Luther Blissett, Jan and 5 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Barry, Luther Blissett, Trish and 5 others like this.
  14. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any way to watch from outside the uk?

Hutan and Cheshire like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Try

ETA: You may need to un-mute the sound on the video. Also be aware that the sound is very quiet.

16. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Andy and Cheshire like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for posting the youtube link, @Arnie Pye !

I just watched it. They both did an amazing job!

I appreciate that Charles Shepherd elaborated on the more general issue of autonomic dysfunction (not just POTS) along with listing so many of the other ME symptoms.

Just to give one example, when I was first sick I got the drop in blood pressure but not enough increase in heart rate to be called POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). If I had only done the simple standing test, and not a tilt table test, the test would not have shown POTS. And a simple standing test is not enough to show NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension, aka Neurocardiogenic syndrome and other names).

Now I have both NMH and POTS. But on my first tilt table test my diagnosis was only NMH, not POTS.

Note: Please forgive me if I'm not using the latest terminology for different types of autonomic dysfunction - it's confusing and seems to depend on which doctor is doing the talking.