1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Characterization of IL-2 Stimulation and TRPM7 Pharmacomodulation in NK Cell Cytotoxicity and Channel Co-Localization w/PIP2 in ME/CFS, 2021, Staines

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Characterization of IL-2 Stimulation and TRPM7 Pharmacomodulation in NK Cell Cytotoxicity and Channel Co-Localization with PIP2 in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex multisystemic disorder responsible for significant disability. Although a unifying etiology for ME/CFS is uncertain, impaired natural killer (NK) cell cytotoxicity represents a consistent and measurable feature of this disorder. Research utilizing patient-derived NK cells has implicated dysregulated calcium (Ca2+) signaling, dysfunction of the phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate (PIP2)-dependent cation channel, transient receptor potential melastatin (TRPM) 3, as well as altered surface expression patterns of TRPM3 and TRPM2 in the pathophysiology of ME/CFS. TRPM7 is a related channel that is modulated by PIP2 and participates in Ca2+ signaling. Though TRPM7 is expressed on NK cells, the role of TRPM7 with IL-2 and intracellular signaling mechanisms in the NK cells of ME/CFS patients is unknown. This study examined the effect of IL-2 stimulation and TRPM7 pharmacomodulation on NK cell cytotoxicity using flow cytometric assays as well as co-localization of TRPM7 with PIP2 and cortical actin using confocal microscopy in 17 ME/CFS patients and 17 age- and sex-matched healthy controls. The outcomes of this investigation are preliminary and indicate that crosstalk between IL-2 and TRMP7 exists. A larger sample size to confirm these findings and characterization of TRPM7 in ME/CFS using other experimental modalities are warranted.

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/22/11879

2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought Nath said that there was no finding of this at the recent Massachusetts meeting.

cfsandmore and alktipping like this.