1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Channel 5 News interview tonight with family of the late Merryn Crofts (young PWME)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Association Facebook: Channel 5 news this evening

Merryn's family were this morning interviewed by Channel 5 news following the overwhelming response to last weekend's news stories.

The interview should be broadcast this evening at 5pm and again at 6.30pm. And Dr Shepherd just informed me that he was also interviewed by Channel 5 briefly on the phone.

2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting, @Eagles, good to know about this.

What do you think about maybe changing the title of the thread to 'Channel 5 News interview tonight with family of the late Merryn Crofts (young PWME)' or something?

Squeezy, Barry and Melanie like this.
  3. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. I've just done as you suggest.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly when introduced by the Newsreader in the 5.30pm News, said Merryn had been severely ill for 6 days, not years. Sadly, think was a misread of the script - or even thought must be a typo.

Still, was important to have such a strong and personal piece on air, though wish this had never happened.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Joh and Melanie like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

In the 630 programme she got it right 6 years

Squeezy, dangermouse, RuthT and 4 others like this.
  9. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't view it but I am sure it was very good and done sensitively. Such a heartbreak.

10. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too bad video is not available to watch everywhere... Maybe someone could convert it and repost without this limitation?

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, Squeezy, Andy and 4 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Melanie, Squeezy, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Even if you don't agree with a lot of Dr Byron Hydes theories, this article is another sad example

"
    Amy Brown was now home again and it was only then the parents saw the incorrect history and
    physical the consultants had done in the two hospital centres. They were understandably upset. So, on the 25th of April 2014, approximately four months after Amy first fell ill, Amy’s dad called the
    hospital doctor regarding Amy’s report to complain of the poor treatment and incorrect history. Amy’s father had reason to be angry, but it appeared the doctor then became even angrier. He wasn't going to take any of this guff. Exactly five days later after the father’s phone call, the doctor retaliated by issuing a Section 47 on the 30th of April 2014. Retaliated is a harsh word, but I believe there is no other suitable word to describe the doctor’s reaction."

"
    The social welfare officer came to the family’s house, examined Amy, spoke to her and her parents,
    and must have decided it was the doctors who were mad and not Amy. So social services did the right thing and left Amy in the loving care of her parents,.."

"
    Unfortunately, inappropriate sectioning of a child has another very dramatic effect on all such families
    in England. The families become rightfully frightened of their children’s welfare and tend to avoid all
    physicians. I assume the doctors are happy since they don't hear from this family any more and they
    have now totally forgotten the patient."

"
    Amy’s illness might be viewed as a typical and dangerous case of child neglect, not by the parents, but by the British medical community that was supposed to serve her best interests and the best interests of all children and adults in the United Kingdom."