Channel 4 News 19 February 2024: Features Clare Norton, mother of Merryn Crofts

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dx Revision Watch, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chris, Kitty, MeSci and 28 others like this.
  2. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jacob Richter, Kitty, MeSci and 16 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crikey, i daren't watch.

Good luck Clare

Kitty, tornandfrayed, EndME and 8 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was very well done indeed.

Merryn's mother, Sonya Chowdhury and Sean O'Neil were given the chance to be very clear and informative. The presenters seemed intelligent and sympathetic. The stuff on the history and politics was covered pretty well.

I don't think one can ask for better than this.

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watched the piece (half way through the programme), it is very good and thanks to Clare Norton and Sean O’Neill who gave very compelling contributions. The focus of the piece was the failure of much of the NHS to take this biomedical condition seriously, the harm arising from inappropriate psychologising of the condition and the desperate need for research into ME and ME like Long Covid. Also raised the issue of high levels of suicide and inappropriate child protection cases.

Deeply moving piece, and having the watched the full news before with pieces on Russia, Ukraine and Gaza too I am now shattered.

I would have liked to see something also about PEM and the damage from inappropriate exertion, but very good to see severe ME accurately portrayed.

[Added - I teared up during the piece and reviewing it my mind I am now crying again, partly because it is perhaps the clearest and most honest piece on ME I have seen on British mainstream TV news.]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  6. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. Just watched it and it was amazingly sympathetic, couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was presented as being critical to the idea that ME was a made-up illness or 'all in the mind', but that it is rather a real physiological condition that is triggered off in some people after a virus. As Jonathan (ETA: and Peter, with whom I crossposted!) said, the people interviewed came across very well and were very informative.

I kept waiting for Wessely or similar to be trotted out to provide 'balance', but to my shock and to Channel 4's credit, that did not occur. It really was an impressive surprise. Kudos to Channel 4 for such a quality report.

Ariel, Tia, mango and 34 others like this.
  7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any way to thank Channel4 or give positive feedback?

Ariel, Jacob Richter, Kitty and 13 others like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

There are their social media accounts.

On Twitter:

@channel4news
    @krishgm
    @JaneDodgeC4

Ariel, Jacob Richter, Kitty and 16 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Crossposted with others. I agree it was the best TV coverage I've seen.

I watched the segment on ME/CFS. I thought it was good. Merryn Crofts' mother spoke movingly of their experiences raising particularly the issues of medical disbelief and social workers and safeguarding issues, Sonya Chowdhury from Action for ME spoke well in a couple of short clips, there was a brief clip of a patient with a doctor who believes in ME, and Sean O'Neill spoke about Maeve's upcoming inquest. There was also discussion of the government's as yet unpublished delivery plan.
    I think the key messages that came across were that ME is physical not mental, that there's a huge problem of clinicians disbelieving it, and the need for more research.

11. JemPD

I thought they all did very well. thank you to everyone involved

And well done to the patient featured too, takes a lot of courage to go on national tv as a PwME!

Ariel, Jacob Richter, Kitty and 17 others like this.
  12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think if it had been on the BBC that might well have happened. Wessely was always their ME goto guy.

Ariel, Kitty, tornandfrayed and 20 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It didn't suck.

:)

TiredSam, Kitty, Fainbrog and 18 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1100 views in under 45 minutes.

Edit -> 1630 views in 60 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Kitty, MeSci, tornandfrayed and 20 others like this.
  15. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect we will see damage limitation from the BSP cabal: saying they never denied there was a physical illness, pedalling false sympathy for the severe end of ME but repeating the importance of hope and that for the mild and moderate activity management and psychological support is vital to create chance for improvement.

Let’s hope this report is part of an ongoing groundswell for recognition of the reality of ME. As Sean O’Neill said there is hope that his daughter’s inquest will promote further recognition and change for the very severe.

Ariel, Jacob Richter, Kitty and 22 others like this.
  16. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was amazing. I teared up as well at the honesty that was put across. All through the piece I was expecting it to then turn and put the other side of the story as has always happened in the past. I can’t find the words to describe how happily astonished I am that they didn’t do this. It truly is devoted to ME in its physical form, and to have such a long segment will no doubt ruffle a lot of feathers.

Ariel, Kitty, MeSci and 20 others like this.
  17. JemPD

Lets hope that Krishnan & Sean had a nice chat off camera too. I could see that KGM was wanting to hear some actual horrifying comments from Drs/Nurses, but i imagine Sean was having to be wise about what he said for all kinds of reasons.
    Is there a repository somewhere of egregious comments made to PwME by clinicians? If not we should make one, but i imagine its difficult on tv/in print because of accusations of slander etc.

You can bet the BPSers are planning a rebuttal... wonder how long it'll take. It will i imagine be along the lines of 'dualism poo poo' we never said we didnt believe the suffering was real. blah blah.

Ariel, Jacob Richter, Kitty and 24 others like this.
  18. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wrecked by this. So heartbreaking. Much gratitude to all involved.

Ariel, Kitty, MeSci and 20 others like this.
  19. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They may decide to seize upon the colloquial use of ‘real’ by a grieving father, but I doubt it will go terribly well for them if they do.

Ariel, Tia, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  20. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I liked the ME Dr Tarek (couldn’t see his name under my subtitles) who said something about - we don’t know how to treat dementia, we don’t know how to treat 90% of neurological disorders but we don’t say they don’t exist, sorry we’re not going to help

Ariel, V.R.T., Jacob Richter and 25 others like this.