1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Channel 4 Dispatches programme on Breast Implant Illness (24/06/2019)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by JohnTheJack, Jun 24, 2019.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i noticed at least some of the women have been told their subsequent symptoms are due to fibromyalgia and 'chronic fatigue'. Not good enough.

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't watch it :(

dangermouse likes this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched this last night. In addition to BII there is also a 'new cancer' Breast Implant Associated Cancer.
    There are several news stories on the web about this today.
    eg
    UK regulator ready to re-examine safety of breast implants
    https://www.theguardian.com/society...ready-to-re-examine-safety-of-breast-implants

The woman who did the program set up a help group for women with BII. She had her implants removed and the illness (BII) stopped. Similar for others who had the implants removed (they call it 'explanting'). She was talking to a suit at the HRA and saying it (and the cancer) often go undiagnosed because the GP is not linking the symptoms to the history, namely that the women have had implants.

Good that they are getting the exposure now before the MUS gurus appropriate it as another 'disorder' in need of CBT. But of course the manufacturers of the implants are defending their products.

see also
    "The World Health Organization recognized breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) as a unique form of ALCL that can develop following breast implant, implantation."

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...iated-anaplastic-large-cell-lymphoma-bia-alcl