1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Central Sensitization: A Pathogenic Mechanism in Complex Undefined Diseases, 2019, Fernández-Solà

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    http://www.jneuropsychiatry.org/pee...c-mechanism-in-complex-undefined-diseases.pdf

Central Sensitization: A Pathogenic Mechanism in Complex Undefined Diseases
    Joaquim Fernández-Solà*
    Department of Internal Medicine, University of Barcelona, Spain
    †Author for correspondences: Joaquim Fernández-Solà, Department of Internal Medicine. Hospital Clínic Villaroel 170, 08036. Barcelona, Spain, Tel: 34 93. 659107529

Review
    Neuropsychiatry
    2019p- ISSN 1758-2008e- ISSN 1758-2016
    Neuropsychiatry (London) (2019) 9(6), 2485–24902485

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The common fact of all of these disorders is a deregulation of the central control mechanisms at the limbic brain system.

And how do we know this 'fact'?

Michelle, spinoza577, Aroa and 14 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right. It could be, but where is the evidence for ME/CFS having this dysfunction of central control mechanisms at the limbic brain system?

I don't believe anything like this has been shown yet. I'm no expert on neuroimaging but it's hard to believe such a thing could be unambiguously demonstrated with current technology.

It's okay to speculate but I fear the authors are making vast conclusions while having insufficient evidence for them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Michelle, spinoza577, Aroa and 11 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It is quite odd reading this article in the same week as Naviaux hypothesis article about the rise in the same chronic illnessess that he attributes to the cell danger response, mitochondria etc.

Each sees the subject from a completely different perspective, and each is equally convinced they are right...

Michelle, Aroa, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You must remember your old geometry proofs. First write down the "Given".

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, no...

Michelle, spinoza577, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  7. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One could be the cause of the other, e.g.

The cell danger response could be downstream of the affected ("sensitized") brain area. I personally am a fan of this approach, though one must be precise in all uncertain possibilties. I agree e.g. with @Michiel Tack and his thread on this that it would be bad trying to influence this sensitization by any psychobla.

A hope could be, say, that an influence on synaptical structures in the basal ganglia and thalamus - I am a huge fan of this side being affected in particular - might be in reach of available possiblitites (in some difficult manner). This hope may arise from the fact that there only seems to be triggers in these condiditons, though admittedly in MCS the thing should be more complicate, to put it a bit easy.

The other way around would be that a disturbed cell danger response would affect the limbic system or whatever. Then the questions from this perspective arise like so: a) what is the influence on the cell danger response; b) if there is none, how strong could be an influence on the "limbic" system (as the authors like to guess)?

Yes, so far no biomarkers, no monitoring, no details.

Completely agreed, spinoza;)

chrisb likes this.