1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CDC update their 'Voice of the Patient' section of their ME/CFS information

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 14, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's not much for a $5M/y budget. Where the hell is that funding going? So far in the past few years I have not seen more than perhaps $10K worth of work out of them on this topic.

It's better than nothing but the output does not match the budget. If there's work out there we're just not seeing then it's equally useless if we can't see anything useful coming out of it.

James, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There are only 4 stories there, they are good, but I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of them, were there before.

And there's now a 30 second video which is ok, but there's only so much a 30 second video can say. Also, it has the woman dropping papers at her desk at the office - giving a bit of an unrealistic idea about how likely it is for a person with ME/CFS to even be at an office.

So, as updates go, it's pretty minor. That said, the CDC ME/CFS material taken as a whole, while having some flaws still, is incredibly useful for changing how the medical profession sees the illness. I'm glad the CDC is tweeting to bring attention to it. Maybe they could add some more stories?

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The CDC is still conducting the multi-site study which probably uses a big portion of the budget.
    (ETA - I'm not saying one way or the other if that's a good thing or not.
    They also have a project underway with Georgia pediatricians.
    But they should do a huge concerted effort to educate healthcare professionals, they should help drive efforts to de-stigmatize everything surrounding this disease, they should.....)

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Roy S, Comet, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Denise

Yes, we really need the CDC to do a great deal of effective outreach. The CDC gets health professionals' attention.

MEMarge, Andy, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First I've heard of it. Are there any details available?

DokaGirl likes this.
  7. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)