1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CDC gets list of forbidden words

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Cheshire, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...0_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.b21949d3f256

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Trump administration is weird. Wonder how long it will take before Trump is removed from his post due to lack of ability to properly carry out his duties.

Or maybe there is some strategy behind this, a desperate attempt to create controversy in order to distract from real problems, such as Trump's ties with Russia?

3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never if his apologists in the senate can prevent it, they are now reportedly trying to dismiss Mueller's investigation into Trump's treason with Russia.
    Its amazing that the right cries censorship nonstop when they are the ones practicing it. People voted for alternative facts and they are getting them :emoji_face_palm:

Getting back to the subject of the thread i suspect this is an experiment to see how far they can go and how much they can get away with.

4. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Highlighted part by me.

5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That isn't science. :facepalm:

Lidia, TigerLilea, Allele and 7 others like this.
  6. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is wrong with fetus?

Allele, ladycatlover, Squeezy and 3 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The spelling.

Woolie, Lidia, Chezboo and 4 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

When discussing this, please don't forget
    Personally, as long as the discussion sticks narrowly to the subject of this thread then I'm inclined to leave this thread open, but be aware that I will have no issue if out-voted by other members of the moderating team who may take a less lenient interpretation of Rule 12. Continued criticism of the administration who are implementing this list will cause this thread to be closed.

Mij, Hutan, Nellie and 8 others like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This list is weird. I don't understand it. It's scary. Not being allowed to use "science based"? And what's wrong with "fetus"? Is this now really the return to the middle-ages?

@Andy
    I've just thought this list might be connected to religious motifs - I remember some of my American relatives said they think about electing him due to his religious beliefs, don't know how much truth is in this - which we shouldn't discuss.
    (Please erase this post if needed and excuse.)

10. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might? It shouts it

It is difficult not to smack the clown in the face but I will try hard not to.

11. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article says:

"The longtime CDC analyst, whose job includes writing descriptions of the CDC’s work for the administration’s annual spending blueprint, could not recall a previous time when words were banned from budget documents because they were considered controversial.

The reaction of people in the meeting was “incredulous,” the analyst said. “It was very much, ‘Are you serious? Are you kidding?’ ”

“In my experience, we’ve never had any pushback from an ideological standpoint,” the analyst said."

Angel27, Yessica, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  12. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or is it possible that the current inclusion of "vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity in CDC material indicates an established ideological standpoint?

ladycatlover likes this.
  13. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please adopt me Anyone From Another Country

Angel27, Barry, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  14. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

You mean the ideology of identifying unmet needs and seeking to remedy them? It's sort of their job.

Snow Leopard, Barry, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:hug:

Now do you really want to come to the land of Wessely and Crawley?

Jan, Angel27, FreeSarah and 12 others like this.
  16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had several FB friends say the same thing.

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.statnews.com/2017/12/16/forbidden-words-fda-cdc/

Barry, Lidia, Esther12 and 11 others like this.
  18. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK - context is everything. Apart from their HR policy (and that's a particularly dubious context) in which context would 'diversity' be relevant to medical research or health provision?

ladycatlover likes this.
  19. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Diversity in populations studied is essential. Women can have very different symptoms compared to men when having a heart attack for example. Unawareness resulting from male-centered research meant that women were not being assessed or treated promptly, which had the effect of them tending to die after being patted on the head and told not to be so worried about their silly symptoms.

20. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are also differences in how women metabolize drugs and are at higher risk of adverse reactions.

Barry, ladycatlover, Lidia and 11 others like this.