1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Causal Effects between Gut Microbiome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Two-Sample Mendelian Randomization Study, 2023,Gang He

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The final, formatted version of the article will be published soon.

Background: Evidence from previous studies have implicated an important association between gut microbiota (GM) and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), but whether there is a definite causal relationship between GM and ME/CFS has not been elucidated.

Method: This study obtained instrumental variables of 211 GM taxa from the Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS), and mendelian randomization (MR) study was carried out to assess the effect of gut microbiota on ME/CFS risk from UK Biobank GWAS (2076 ME/CFS cases and 460857 controls). Inverse variance weighted (IVW) was the primary method to analyze causality in this study, and a series of sensitivity analyses was performed to validate the robustness of the results.The inverse variance weighted (IVW) method indicated that genus Paraprevotella (OR:1.001, 95%CI:1.000-1.003, p-value<0.05) and Ruminococca-ceae_UCG_014(OR 1.003, 95% CI 1.000 to 1.005, p-value < 0.05) were positively associated with ME/CFS risk. Results from the weighted median method supported genus Paraprevotella (OR 1.003, 95% CI 1.000 to 1.005, p-value < 0.05) as a risk factor for ME/CFS.

Conclusions: This study reveals a causal relationship between genus.paraprevotella, genus.Ruminococcaceae_UCG_014 and ME/CFS, and our findings provide novel insights for further elucidating the developmental mechanisms mediated by the gut microbiota of ME/CFS.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2023.1190894/abstract

ahimsa, RedFox, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  2. Cheesus

Cheesus Established Member (Voting Rights)

Can't believe what I am reading here. I posted this thread way back in 2016 on Phoenix Rising: Paraprevotella: the cause of my atypical ME?

In the opening comment of that thread I mentioned that I was hoping to get an FMT from the Taymount clinic, but was too sick to travel for it. I am finally well enough to travel and have it booked for later this year.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    bobbler, Amw66, oldtimer and 3 others like this.