1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Case report: Angina Simultaneously Diagnosed with the Recurrence of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2021, Li et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) mainly affects young adults and can have a potential impact on social functioning. As this syndrome is associated with endothelial dysfunction, the heart can be damaged via ischemia due to endothelial damage. This might potentially lead to heart failure, which accounts for approximately 20% of deaths among patients with ME/CFS. While cardiac ischemia is thought be a pathophysiologically important manifestation of this syndrome, this is not yet reported. Herein, we present a case of a young female with newly diagnosed vasospastic or microvascular angina and concurrent exacerbation of ME/CFS severity. Her anginal symptoms, including exertional chest pain and transient chest discomfort, mimicked those of ME/CFS but were relieved after the administration of a calcium channel blocker. We emphasize the possibility of concurrent angina and exacerbation of ME/CFS and the importance of detecting cardiac ischemia to avoid unfavorable outcomes.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/11/3/460/htm

Trish likes this.