1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Carol Monaghan MP needs a question for PMQs this week

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Barry, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

UK members here are much better qualfied to answer, but I would suggest when will equitable biomedical research funding come on stream for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis?

dangermouse, Cinders66, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  3. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not on Twitter, but anyone who is can feel free to pass this suggestion along to Carol:

"Seventeen years ago this month the Chief Medical Officer's working group on myalgic encephalomyelitis published a report calling for the Government to invest in research into the aetiology and pathogenesis of this poorly understood condition. In the intervening years the Medical Research Council has insisted that ME research is a high priority for them - but since 2004 it has spent a mere £6.4 million on this illness. Furthermore much of this money has not been spent on biomedical research but on poor quality research into psychological interventions, such as the £2.8 million that was wasted on the now discredited PACE trial.

When should patients expect funding to be made available so that this much-needed research into the causes of ME can begin? Will the Government now intervene to ensure that the MRC finally acts on the recommendations made by the Chief Medical Officer back in 2002 - or do ME patients have to wait even longer for their illness to receive the attention it deserves?"

ArtStu, DokaGirl, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If it's tomorrow's PMQ's she's talking about I suspect her question will relate to Brexit, and, depending on what happens in the vote tonight, probably something about its effect on Scotland. Otherwise something of particular concern to her constituents. It seems very unlikely to me it will be ME related.

5. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm absolutely certain you're right - I think it's highly likely that Brexit will be the only subject raised at PMQs tomorrow. However Carol is at the bottom of the list of questions (she's No. 14 of the 15 MPs listed to ask questions on the order paper) so she may want to have a back-up non-Brexit question in her pocket, just in case all her Brexit-related questions have already been addressed by the time she gets called. (But I imagine she'll be conferring with Ian Blackford, the SNP leader, to see if she can follow up on whatever Brexit related question he's asking.)

6. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Not surprisingly given the confidence debate and vote today she went on a Brexit issue asking for rights of EU citizens currently settled in the UK to be guaranteed.

rvallee, Liessa, Trish and 7 others like this.
  8. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have friends living here who will greatly appreciate this question. Good for Carol. :)