1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can You Reshape Your Brain's Response To Pain? NPR article, June 10, 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by fossil, Aug 6, 2019.

1. fossil

fossil Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can You Reshape Your Brain's Response To Pain?

NPR article, June 10, 2019

A fibromyalgia patient's recovery story, and the therapy she tried was developed by Schubiner who thinks ME/CFS is a Psychophysiologic Disorder.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health.../can-you-reshape-your-brains-response-to-pain

"Repeated exposure to psychological trauma, or deep anxiety or depression — especially in childhood — can leave a physical imprint on the brain that can make some people, like Jeannine, more vulnerable to chronic pain, scientists say."

:banghead:

TiredSam, Daisymay, Louie41 and 10 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not for me then. I had a happy youth. Futhermore an immune modulator eases my pain.

TiredSam, alktipping, mango and 8 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article asserts “Repeated exposure to psychological trauma, or deep anxiety or depression — especially in childhood — can leave a physical imprint on the brain that can make some people, like Jeannine, more vulnerable to chronic pain, scientists say”.

Is there evidence that people experiencing trauma are subsequently more likely than the general population to develop idiopathic pain conditions, that is experience pain with no identified stimulus? Are people with such as fibromyalgia more likely to have experience prior trauma than the general population? Obviously childhood trauma is neither necessary or sufficient to cause such as fibromyalgia, given many people acquire the condition without prior trauma, and not everyone that experiences trauma gets fibromyalgia.

It is a potentially risky area of research, given there is a risk of circular logic: chronic pain results from previous trauma so people with chronic pain must have had a traumatic event, but if you look hard enough in anyone’s life you could find an event that years after the fact could be described as traumatic. I am not saying it is not a possible factor, rather that it is a difficult one to demonstrate.

Sarah94, DigitalDrifter, Sean and 9 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No difference between this and Lightning Process and that CFS rewire thing. All a load of assumptions and beliefs.

Sean, alktipping, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I fell off a teeter totter when I was 3. This is the reason I joined S4ME.

6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on the people I knew in a former life, physical and psychological pain when younger is much more likely to produce the exact opposite effect.

Whatever happened to 'desensitisation'? The theory that repeated exposure to things desensitises someone to it.

The same theory they use to get rid of phobias.

The same theory the military have always used to train people to kill, as the vast majority of people aren't wired to do such things, without training to desensitise them.

Isn't this the polar opposite - they can't both be right but they seem to be being espoused by essentially the same people.

TiredSam, Sarah94, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What upsets me about treatments like the one described in the original post is that it tends to get expanded and expanded in its application, and ends with people simply not being believed about anything at all (in a medical context).

Sean, JemPD, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. jamari

jamari Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm being pedantic but the title "Can you reshape your brain's response to pain?" doesn't make sense.
    The brain doesn't respond to pain, it creates it.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Then where is the evidence that people who experienced serious childhood trauma have higher incidence of chronic pain? Oh, right, doesn't exist. And why is it that many people, like me, who have never had any such trauma falsify your model entirely, you hack?

Science is not a vehicle for promoting one's personal opinion. This is "water has memory of the stuff it dissolved" kind of BS. Stop it with this shit.

Sarah94, Amw66, Sean and 9 others like this.
  10. rvallee

What's the conversion rate of thetans to traumas?

Sean, Louie41 and NelliePledge like this.
  11. Peter Trewhitt

I did not even know what a teeter totter was when I was a child, this childhood deprivation is the reason I joined S4ME.

What is a teeter totter?

12. rvallee

Ah, see, that's completely different because it does not support this belief system and therefore should be ignored when inconvenient.

Although... yeah, the whole point of CBT is to "desensitise" illness caused by "overexposure" of unrelated stuff, or something like that. Brilliant. Like explaining the unexplained, which is something said seriously by serious people who somehow don't take a moment to mouth those words slowly to appreciate just how ridiculous they are.

13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Peter Trewhitt

Oh dear, I too fell off a seesaw (teeter totter) when I was three or four. I had forgotten all about it. Obviously the trauma caused suppressed memories.

Amw66, alktipping, Ebb Tide and 5 others like this.
  15. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wrong thread! ;) Surely this should be in Rhyming Couplets? ;) :rofl: :D :trophy@

16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes forgot about that load of tripe too - saw a documentary about it - world class brainwashing totally made me think of LP

alktipping and ladycatlover like this.
  17. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Peter Trewhitt A teeter totter is the thing in the playground next to the slide, which I fell off of onto my head, and that's why I joined s4me!

18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

I fell off children's play equipment aged about 5 or 6. You must have seen kids hanging off the top bar of a swing like in the picture.

I was doing this one day when I got called by my mother to come in for dinner. I let go of the bar with my hands AND my knees. In other words, I forgot to hold on. The seat of the swing below me broke my fall just enough so that I could turn over, a bit like a cat. I still landed on my head, but not with my full body weight above me, instead I was almost horizontal. I don't remember doing masses of damage, but I was very, very shocked by what I had done. :D :ill:

ladycatlover likes this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Same shit, different packaging. They have been doing this since at least Freud.
    I wasn't allowed on the swing when I was 3. Therefore CFS.

It sound loony-tunes, but that is the level they are rapidly approaching.

ladycatlover, rvallee, Trish and 2 others like this.
  20. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well have you ever met anybody who doesn't exist who got CFS?

Coincidence?