1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Physical Activity and Exercise Alleviate Chronic Pain in Adults? A Cochrane Review Summary With Commentary, 2019, Puljak et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved from this thread:
    Survey of activity pacing across healthcare professionals informs a new activity pacing framework for chronic pain/fatigue, 2019, Antcliff et al

Can Physical Activity and Exercise Alleviate Chronic Pain in Adults?

A Cochrane Review Summary With Commentary
    June 2019 - Volume 98 - Issue 6 - p 526–527
    ??
    https://journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Full...sical_Activity_and_Exercise_Alleviate.14.aspx

eta:
    my polite way of saying WTF.
    So it's perfectly OK to continue to put patients through more pain (as it 'only' took a few weeks to get over) knowing full well that it doesn't actually help their condition.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems to be a review of a Cochrane review of Cochrane Reviews.
    Jumbling exercise therapy for lots of different conditions together is a complete waste of time.
    The conclusion indicates just how empty the exercise is. Nobody doing a review of a drug would suggest going on using something where the evidence is close to zero.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How about just objectively? Why even bother with subjective measures if physical function is evaluated. It can be measured objectively, unlike pain level self-reports. Physical function isn't some aspiration "I wish I could do that", it supposed to measure what people are actually able to perform.

Is that really the standard scale? I consider 3/10 to be mild pain. I wish I had a 3/10 level of pain at most. Is it a scale with adverbs? Mild pain, moderate pain, severe pain, very severe pain, phantasmagorically severe pain, plaidly severe pain?

Not "in adults with stable, low levels of chronic pain"? Words matter. This reads like it applies to all levels of pain. This is the thing most people will read and it will tell them that it applies to all adults with chronic pain. Members of Cochrane reviews, WTF?

Given the scale scale used, I guess that means at most 3/10. That's not moderate, that's very low. When it's necessary to redefine the meaning of words to push your conclusions, what exactly are you doing here?