1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can one smell Parkinson's disease?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Mar 27, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Found this to be an interesting story. A Scottish women named Joy Milne says she can smell Parkinson's.

She is a former nurse and her husband developed the illness. Milne says she noticed the smell of Parkinson's ten years before her husband was diagnosed with the illness. After going to a Parkinson's meeting, she knew what the smell was.

A research group at the University of Manchester has tested her ability to detect patients with Parkinson's, successfully. They are now trying to develop a diagnostic test so the illness can be diagnosed sooner.

Here's a BBC video on Milne from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB0QgwVffvk

And a short article by the Guardian about a recent paper on the development of the test (by Tom Fielden) https://www.theguardian.com/society...elps-develop-swab-test-for-parkinsons-disease [EDIT: The publication is Triverdi et al. (2019). Discovery of Volatile Biomarkers of Parkinson’s Disease from Sebum.]

This may sound weird, but I would very much want Joy Milne to smell me...

Not for Parkinson's, but who knows that ME/CFS has its own odor?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had read about her a few years back, some scientists were going to try to isolate what she was smelling. Never heard about it again till now

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Another study that I'd like to see done on people with ME/CFS/. Presumably not so hard if you have a mass spectrometer to hand.

Perhaps Manchester members could encourage this team to add ME/CFS to their 'to do' list?

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be nice to see if this woman can smell any other diseases.

5. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sepsis smelled like foisty wet hay

7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This one doesn't know, but doubts this one can, having met someone with Parkinson's and not smelt much beyond the beer they were drinking and the rollup they were smoking (it was a while ago, when the disabled were still allowed to smoke in places that sold beer).

I thought they had dogs that smelt diseases these days, pretty sure I've seen that on TV, or maybe that was a dream. But I'm fairly sure dogs have better sniffers than women from Scotland. Cheaper to feed and take up less space as well (important if you're looking to roll out a few hundred thousand of them).

Keebird, TiredSam, andypants and 4 others like this.
  8. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I asked Caroline from the Biobank about this the last time she came to take samples from me. She said it was something the Biobank team were looking into – in fact I think she said they had a meeting scheduled about it the next day. Do know anything more about it @Jonathan Edwards?

Lisa108, Binkie4, andypants and 4 others like this.
  9. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The story from a few years back was that she was able to pick out people with Parkinsons blinded and insisted one person had it who didn't but later developed it

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have been using/are using dogs for this (identifying disease) for a long time

https://massivesci.com/articles/dogs-smell-diseases-diagnose-cancer-diabetes/

Dogs are also being trained to smell malaria and other diseases; I saw a documentary on it not that long ago (sorry can't remember where/what it was called).

eta: in Outlander (TV series) the nun/medic at the hospital has a little dog that she uses (not a terribly scientific reference I know but shows its not necessarily a new idea).

eta2: sorry just spotted roller* already mentioned it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    ME/CFS Skeptic, Binkie4 and andypants like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS probably smells like being unable to wash because of exhaustion, with a flavor of left-over deep freeze pizza.

ukxmrv, Keebird, Alvin and 4 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually, thinking back to very early on I remember thinking 'I smell like Neil';
    (Neil was an odd fellow at work who developed diabetes).