1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all physicists/science people

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by JemPD, Sep 4, 2019.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl, wdb, Lisa108 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that bit sounds naff. Hz, Hertz, is a unit of frequency, meaning cycles per second. So kHz is 1000s of cycles per second. So how "kHz" is deemed a qualifier to "physics" I really don't see. I guess it's just meant to sound knowledgeable.

Annamaria, Sean, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like utter nonsense to me, but I'm no physicist!

Annamaria, Hutan, Barry and 4 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Everything vibrates above a certain temperature. It has nothing whatsoever to do with life or how biology works. This may as well be chakras with some cheap sciencey language.

Rocks vibrate. So do water and buildings. Means nothing. It's technically true, it's just equally meaningless as saying the sun is big and powerful therefore it affects all life on Earth, proving astrology is real (you can substitute for brain and psychosomatics, same illogic).

Kinda clever, since you can actually measure those oscillations so it seems convincing. It's just meaningless interpretation.

Annamaria, shak8, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rest assured. This has nothing to do with physics, pretty little to do with coherent use of the English language and nothing whatever to do with science or medicine. The robot that spews out essays for you would do better.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wow looks like a case for Advertising Standards.

Annamaria, shak8, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  7. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks to all be based on the work of Royal Raymond Rife, there is a good wikipedia page on him, I suspect the machine they are delivering treatment with is a rife device.

Royal Raymond Rife (May 16, 1888 – August 5, 1971)...
    He is best known for a claimed 'beam ray' invention during the 1930s, which he thought could treat some diseases through vibration. Years after his death, it was manufactured and sold in several countries as a cure for cancer, AIDS, and other conditions. Many patients died, and multiple promoters were convicted of health fraud and sent to prison...

Interest in Rife's claims was revived in some alternative medical circles by the 1987 book by Barry Lynes, The Cancer Cure That Worked, which claimed that Rife had succeeded in curing cancer, but that his work was suppressed by a powerful conspiracy headed by the American Medical Association.[7] After this book's publication, a variety of devices bearing Rife's name were marketed as cures for diverse diseases such as cancer and AIDS. An analysis by Electronics Australia found that a typical 'Rife device' consisted of a nine-volt battery, wiring, a switch, a timer and two short lengths of copper tubing, which delivered an "almost undetectable" current unlikely to penetrate the skin.[10]

Such 'Rife devices' have figured prominently in several cases of health fraud in the U.S., typically centered around the uselessness of the devices and the grandiose claims with which they are marketed. In a 1996 case, the marketers of a 'Rife device' claiming to cure numerous diseases including cancer and AIDS were convicted of felony health fraud.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rife

Annamaria, shak8, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Should we alert the BMJ? They may want to publish these findings.

;)

Joh, Annamaria, Chezboo and 17 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-9-4_22-33-46.png

Disclaimer clarifies it is not a cure, and totally reliant on client buy-in. Totally reliant on placebo I think, and expensive at that.

ETA: Just realised it says "as with any treatment method, this treatment is not a cure". That's guff in itself. Many treatments are cures.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Annamaria, Gecko, Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shak8, MEMarge and Barry like this.
  11. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, they lump ME/CFS in with SAD, for some unfathomable reason.
    Yes, if only ME really was just 'feeling tired and run down most of the time', 'which can be debilitating' (my bold), which implies it might not be debilitating.

As well as not being able to grammatise or punctuate properly, they do sound like a candidate for the Advertising Standards Agency. Or, a candidate for publishing in the BMJ/Lancet. Really, it could go either way these days now that all standards of good science seem to have flown out of the window.

Annamaria, Simbindi and MEMarge like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks everyone I was sure it was Woo when I was referred to it, but I just wanted to be able to say so with authority :)

13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Annamaria, rvallee and Simbindi like this.
  14. theJOYdecision

theJOYdecision Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hehehe! Such a way with words. :emoji_laughing:

Annamaria likes this.
  15. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The body responds to physics (kHz) in the same way as it responds to chemistry (medications) in that they are both capable of creating change within the body to improve health and well-being. Our internal processes are made up of physics, chemistry and biology so treatments using physics are entirely natural. The body absorbs the ‘beneficial input frequencies’ to help correct the imbalances and aid quicker recovery."

I can only point out the obvious and confirm what people already have said. This is complete and utter nonsense. Kilohertz is a unit that is used to measure kilocycles per second of any periodic variable. The statement that "the body absorbs 'beneficial' input frequencies" is a category error. The body can in some cases absorb radiation—for example electromagnetic radiation—in certain frequency ranges. How this affects biological tissue depends on the frequency. UV and X-ray ionizing radiation may knock out electrons and thus break chemical bonds. Infrared radiation induces vibrations in molecules and thus heats the material. There is no mechanism in the body that selects "beneficial" frequencies. There are therapeutic applications of radiation, for example killing cancer cells, but that doesn't mean that radiation in general has a healing effect.

Annamaria, EzzieD, JemPD and 5 others like this.
  16. fds

fds Established Member (Voting Rights)

huh? I am a physicist and physics hasn't cured me yet. This person isn't even using the words in the right context as many people have pointed out.

17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Their first mistake is not sprinkling the word "quantum" here and there.

Can't ever go wrong with a dose of quantum voodoo. It doesn't make it any more right, but it sounds sooo sciencey.

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quantum fatigue sounds so sciencey!

rvallee and EzzieD like this.