Burnout, Compassion Fatigue, and the Long Haul of Caring for Long COVID, 2024, Ramers et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

The current landscape of clinician burnout is prompting the need for our health care system to revise its approach toward complex conditions such as long coronavirus disease (COVID), myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), and other postinfectious fatiguing illnesses (PIFIs). We discuss our efforts here at Family Health Center of San Diego (FHCSD) to help share insight and glean perspective from clinicians who have participated in our Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)–funded 3-year continuing professional development initiative. The Long COVID and Fatiguing Illness Recovery Program uses multidisciplinary team-based case consultation and peer-to-peer sharing of emerging best and promising practices (ie, teleECHO [Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes]) to support the management of complex cases associated with long COVID, ME/CFS, and other PIFIs. We believe that this perspective captures a key moment in the trajectory of postpandemic clinician burnout and prompts further reflection and action from the health care system to improve clinician- and patient-level outcomes related to the care of patients with postinfectious fatiguing illnesses.

Open access, https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/11/3/ofae080/7603019

Trish and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty good, but as a small criticism I didn't see any discussion of the role long Covid is playing directly on some of the clinicians, as opposed to them being indirectly affected — unable to treat their patients.

There are indeed such hints...

shak8, alktipping, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't want my emotional needs to be met by clinicians. I could not care less about this, it's not going to happen anyway, this is not what medicine is for. Certainly not as long as they work in a system that is responsible for failing and mistreating us.

I also don't care about hearing simple phrases that aren't backed by actions. Words are cheap. So damn cheap. I frankly don't even want to hear those words, I only want to see action that gives them substance. The words could never be uttered once for all I care, if the actions are there. It's not us who need to hear those words, it's their system, their colleagues, their schools, their leaders. Turn around and say it loud, then do something about it. It's MDs who need to hear it and do something about it, not us. The rest is irrelevant.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, whenever I hear this kind of stuff I run quickly in the direction of away.

I do not need or want manufactured displays of sympathy that do nothing but waste my damn time and hope.

shak8, Joan Crawford and Lou B Lou like this.