1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

British Psychological Society: Development and promotion of valid psychological screening to predict chronicity, post COVID-19 infection, 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Split from BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Just came across this on Twitter
    Here is the full proposal. There are several references to papers by Chalder and Moss-Morris

the british psychological society: Campaign theme - Development and promotion of valid psychological screening to predict chronicity, post COVID-19 infection

quote:
    A cognitive-behavioural model, first described by Surawy et al in 1995 has been successful in predicting the transition from acute to chronic states in a number of health conditions. This model has been shown to predict chronic fatigue syndrome following glandular fever, irritable bowel syndrome from campylobacter infection and post-concussional syndrome following mild head injury.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2021
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How apt, in a horrible way, that BPS being an acronym for both British Psychological Society and the BioPsychoSocial model for ME and other things, has now morphed so they are indistinguishable. BPS = BPS.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Sarah94, Ash, Mithriel and 19 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that is quite something.

4. Hutan

"4. Campaign theme - Development and promotion of valid psychological screening to predict chronicity, post COVID-19 infection.

Member network
    Division of Health Psychology, Division of Clinical Psychology

A cognitive-behavioural model, first described by Surawy et al in 1995 has been successful in predicting the transition from acute to chronic states in a number of health conditions. This model has been shown to predict chronic fatigue syndrome following glandular fever, irritable bowel syndrome from campylobacter infection and post-concussional syndrome following mild head injury.

Campaign scope
    A focus on the development, application, and promotion of valid and reliable psychological screening to predict long COVID or Post Covid Syndrome, based on previous cognitive behavioural research in this area i.e., 'all or nothing behaviour' and 'negative perfectionism'. The consequences of COVID infection and hospital care, for example, raised levels of anxiety and depression, trauma following critical care are outside the scope of this campaign.

Campaign outputs
    A simple validated psychological screening tool, that can be easily administered in Primary Care similar to GAD-7 (Anxiety), PHQ-9 (Depression) and STarT (Back pain) questionnaires.

The development of appropriate support pathways, with availability of psychologically based multidisciplinary services to promote cognitive behavioural change and recovery, aligned with the Surawy model.

An information campaign to promote a biopsychosocial approach to long covid or PCS, in order to avoid the inevitable distress that can result from dualistic, biomedical reductionism.

Audience/stakeholders
    NHS England and other fundholding bodies, NHS Commissioners, The Royal Colleges, GPs, the general public

Existing evidence base

These are the references for previous work in this area. They outline the original model proposed by Surawy et al in 1995 and the application of the model to other clinical areas. The Behavioural Responses to Illness questionnaire cited, is a screening tool developed for exactly this purpose.

Surawy C, Hackmann A, Hawton K, et al. Chronic fatigue syndrome: a cognitive approach. Behav Res Ther 1995; 33(5): 535–544.

Moss-Morris R, Spence M and Hou R. The pathway from glandular fever to chronic fatigue syndrome: can the cognitive behavioural model provide the map? Psychol Med 2011; 41(5): 1099–1107.

Spence MJ and Moss-Morris R. The cognitive behavioural model of irritable bowel syndrome: a prospective investigation of patients with gastroenteritis. Gut 2007; 56: 1066–1071.

Hou R, Moss-Morris R, Peveler R, et al. When a minor head injury results in enduring symptoms: a prospective investigation of risk factors for postconcussional syndrome after mild traumatic brain injury. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2012; 83(2): 217–223.

Brooks SK, Chalder T and Rimes KA. Chronic fatigue syndrome: cognitive, behavioural and emotional processing vulnerability factors. Behav Cogn Psychother 2017(45): 156– 169.

Spence MJ, Moss-Morris R and Chalder T. The Behavioural Responses to Illness Questionnaire (BRIQ): a new predictive measure of medically unexplained symptoms following acute infection. Psychol Med 2005; 35(4):583–593.

Hill P., (2018) Chronic pain: a consequence of dysregulated protective action, British Journal of Pain 2019, Vol 13 (1) 13–21

How will inequalities be addressed?
    Adaptation of screening tools and information for non-English speaking populations. Support for people with poor literacy to take part both in screening and the information campaign.
    The campaign may help to highlight populations vulnerable to long COVID because of economic or environmental pressures which influence their behaviour.

Contact Name

Dr Patrick Hill"

inox, NelliePledge, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  5. Hutan

No one gets to miss out on the wisdom of the BPS. An (mis)information campaign - just what we need.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the thread responses
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1437384604961280000

7. Hutan

I'm still struggling to comprehend how these people think. It's suggested in the short video that the science for predicting Long Covid from psychological/personality attributes is all sorted, and mostly there just needs to be a publicity campaign to tell everyone. I mean, I don't think everyone has agreed that Long Covid is ME/CFS yet, much less done enough studies on personality to predict who gets LC. Surely they can't believe what they are saying?

Fortunately, this is only one possible campaign out of 11 that the British Psychological Society are asked to vote on, so perhaps it won't be funded.

The literature does not support their ideas. There have been studies done by BPS (bio-psycho-social) proponents that have admitted that perfectionism isn't relevant to CFS. And that's before I get into the facts that it's the high achievers who are most upset at losing even a small bit of functionality when they get ME/CFS and who have lots of resources and family support who are most likely to get diagnosed, and take part in research studies.

That these psychologists are allowed anywhere near vulnerable people going through difficult times absolutely appalls me.

inox, Ash, boolybooly and 23 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's very telling that the initial framing is of a marketing campaign. Because let's be frank this is what they will do, it's not informational, it's promotional.

I have no idea how they can seriously claim that they already can do just that, predict the course of chronic illness. Everyone knows they can't do that. They know they can't do that. They would readily admit it in any setting, that for any particular case, they have absolutely no ability to do this.

And still they assert it, a bald-faced lie that hardly anyone would object to because it feeds into the mythology of psychosomatic medicine being able to do things that obviously no person has ever been able to do.

Health care professions' disregard for concern about their credibility is becoming a serious problem. They simply assume that their credibility is unlimited, that they can say and do anything they want, no matter how wrong, and never cause any trouble, simply because they can and never find out about how that loss of credibility works, thanks to the toxic combination of statutory authority and a completely inelastic need, that is a need that is non-negotiable, that is a necessity, people simply don't have a choice to go to the medical statutory authority because it is a legal monopoly.

This works for governments based on a system of laws and kept in check by a judiciary, not for a profession whose entire claim to expertise is precisely about never making bald-faced lies and about being self-correcting, which is obviously not the case here. Health care needs a thorough systemwide reform, nothing short will fix this systemic stagnation that is actually causing regression in many areas.

Ash, boolybooly, Mithriel and 14 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

10. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The group that is missing from this stakeholder list is the patients themselves.

inox, Sean, Starlight and 15 others like this.
  11. Hutan

No need. If you convince the general public and the GPs that people have only got Long Covid because of their personality flaws, the patients will very quickly get the message. :confused:

Chezboo, Arnie Pye, Starlight and 9 others like this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Shall we research whether there's a relationship between personality characteristics and cancer?

Oh, sorry, that one's been done by Eysenck. And then checked here:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12783934/

Well ok then, how about stomach ulcers and personality?

Or something? Anything? Long Covid, ah yes, that's new, we can do it all over again with that.

Ash, Chezboo, Frankie and 20 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For years biopsychosocial practitioners have convinced themselves that it's only a small minority of patients who think they're a bunch of quacks. It's harsh stepping out of an ideological bubble and finding out that all along, the crowd was definitely screaming "BOOO!", and not "Boo-urns". Lots of good replies and the ME and LC community are really aligning well. Now all that's missing is healthy allies.

Also, may be an unofficial thing with not much backing, but it could just be backtracking and I guess that depends on how the vote goes:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1437435492866400265

Sly Saint, Ariel, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Ariel, DokaGirl, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

16. Hutan

17. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What can I say here....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Not again! Or still...?

"Negative perfectionism". Yes, deny pwLC and pwME have any debilitating symptoms, then call this group negative perfectionists. Having too high a standard to get back into the mainstream.

They don't listen, or care. Like people who cover their ears and loudly say "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

And how up front to admit their plan is a "campaign". Hmm....I thought the BPS saw that as a derogatory term - "campaigner". That's what they've called pwME who object to being mistreated with GET, CBT, and the BPS campaign to override the evidenced-based science ME is a serious, debilitating, chronic disease.

And now, they're focused on LC.

Invisible Woman, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kalliope, Hutan, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Promotion of ideas via persuasive rhetoric (which would include marketing) is part of what I see as the hallmark of psychobabble. If they stuck closely to objective evidence they could avoid this problem, but they seem to do that rarely.