1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Briquet syndrome revisited: implications for functional neurological disorder, Maggio et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://academic.oup.com/braincomms/article/2/2/fcaa156/5910543

Woolie, MSEsperanza, mat and 3 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The arrogance and callousness of these people is just as breathtaking as when I first encountered it a few decades back.

They have learned nothing, and grow ever more resistant to doing so every day. Their act consists of ever finer hair splitting with definitions and statistical thresholds, and withdrawing deeper into their theoretical bubble.

...these revisions offer the potential benefit to readily identify important functional neurological disorder subgroups—resulting in diagnostic, treatment and pathophysiology implications.

And a lifetime of employment, power, and status for FND researchers and clinicians.

Lastly, for patients with prominent pain and fatigue, or those exhibiting a combination of two or more non-sensorimotor symptoms (e.g. widespread body pain and gastrointestinal distress), the diagnostic specifier FND ‘with prominent mixed somatic symptoms’ can be recorded (see Fig. 3).

Once again, heads they win, tails you lose.

If you are not psychologically ill before they get a hold of you, you sure as shit will be after they have ground you through their mill, and then blamed you for not 'engaging' and 'responding'.

Better stop there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Woolie, Simbindi, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely the only point to categorizing patients is to work out which treatments lead to recovery in each type.

Since CBT is the answer to everything it hardly seems worth the effort.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right. Totally. Transformed entirely. Sure. Uh uh. Those are truly serious people talking about serious things.

Not even smart enough to not point out they are proposing a change, a finality, despite having no evidence for it, as if the process of fabricating the evidence is just a formality. This could literally be rewritten as "let's fabricate the evidence for it".
    This is Facebook quizz level of pseudoscience and these people want, need, to enforce this, coercively, onto millions of people. With force of law, which medicine fully has. It's not even coherent enough to use for trivial matters such as what to wear, and they want to control millions of people's lives, without any afterthought or even a basic quality assurance mechanism. Borderline criminal insanity to actually argue that in the context of medicine.

The "new" FND, totally different from the old "FND". It has a new hat!

[​IMG]

alktipping, MSEsperanza, mat and 5 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i think I'll out all the striped deckchairs together and separate from the solid colour ones...... Hmmmm perhaps it would be better to do them by colours.

Iceberg? Is that a shade of blue?

alktipping, MSEsperanza and chrisb like this.
  6. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really wonder if they don't have any other priorities. I mean, I would understand if the lead author was a psychiatrist and needed to publish something. But why are neurologists so fixated on psychosomatism?

Mithriel, alktipping, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The senior author seems to be David Perez who has already earned some criticism by some forum members...
    see this thread:

edited to add https://www.s4me.info/threads/trial...cbt-for-medically-unexplained-symptoms.15535/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Simbindi, alktipping, Sean and 3 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly, same reason why some people are fascinated by stuff like telekinesis. It's magic. People want to believe in magic, even smart people. Magic is amazing. Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic, but science is hard. Just magic is so much easier.

alktipping, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.