1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Briefing paper for parliamentary debate.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

where is the vote posted?

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

There is no vote as there was no time in which to hold the vote. MEAction's briefing document for MPs will go ahead without S4ME backing.

MSEsperanza and Trish like this.
  3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I opened it, thanks for taking people's ideas on board. I am way happier with updated version.

MSEsperanza, RuthT, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

I'm so glad. I'm much happier with it, too.

RuthT, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 6 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I finally got around to writing to my MP this afternoon to ask him to attend the debate and included a link to the briefing paper. Thank you to all concerned.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    RuthT, petrichor, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

I know about 1500 people have used the 'contact your MP' feature on the #MEAction website, so that's a lot of MPs who will now be seeking case studies and info!

The next really useful thing to have would be a PDF of case studies. A selection of adults and children from across the different severities, each chosen to highlight a specific problem area in ME treatment and research. Real people, real faces, real problems. So a child taken from her parents for worsening under the GET regime. An adult sectioned for whatever reason. Another who went from mild to severe because of poor treatment.

That might require a lot of work, though, so maybe it's something to plan for a future main hall debate in Parliament.

Inara, RuthT, Bill and 12 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The 2015 ME Association report on their poll also includes lots of patient testimony from respondents: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-...No-decisions-about-me-without-me-30.05.15.pdf

10. adambeyoncelowe

Yes, I've seen that one. I keep referring to the part on most/least appropriate source of care (GP and psychiatrist, respectively). That's mainly the source of Keith's 2017 paper on harms. Though unique individual stories with a picture of the person affected would be more compelling/persuasive, I think.

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

both AFME and ME Association have in recent months been asking people to come forward if they are prepared to share their stories - could ask them to share with MEAction

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i was just about to post the same; but also that a lot of these stories were in the press in May (also maybe on both AfME and MEA FB). I think as @adambeyoncelowe said maybe draw up a list of 'categories' and then see if any of the stories fit the bill.

13. Trish

I think if you want a brief patients' story to ask your MP to watch, Emma Shorter's testimony at the recent Scottish parliament petition hearing was a perfect example. If you want to shock them with the most harrowing stories, Voices in the Shadows, in one of its shortened versions is ideal.

14. adambeyoncelowe

All great ideas. Thanks.

Another thing Nathalie suggested was some way of capturing complaints/bad experiences with clinics (that anyone can contribute to).

15. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I've corrected the version attached to the start of this thread and also the one in the https://www.s4me.info/docs/PaceBriefing3.pdf URL.

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Seems some people really didn't like the briefing document, or at least AfME's part of it and involvement.
    https://memanchester.wordpress.com/afmecomplaint/

18. Trish

The fact that this refers to 'myself' suggests it was written by one person, not 'an overwhelming number of patients'. Do we know anything about the organisation who produced this?

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not me, I just stumbled across it on Facebook, it was the first time I'd seen anything by them.

Inara and Barry like this.
  20. chicaguapa

chicaguapa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is where Karen Morris' public resignation from MEAction was published so I think it's her public complaint to AfME. I don't know who ME Manchester are and if it's made up of more than one person.

Using myself instead of me makes my teeth itch.

Trish, adambeyoncelowe and Arnie Pye like this.