1. The 'News In Brief' post for w/c 8th October is now available Guest, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Breathwork

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by GodGenghis, Mar 22, 2018.

1. GodGenghis

GodGenghis Established Member

Anyone have experience with any of the popular breathing exercises, such as the Wim Hof Method, Yogic Pranayama, or Holotropic breathwork? I've dabbled into it just a little and found it relaxing, but I worry the intense breathing could give me post-exertional malaise of my diaphragm, and I also worry that the intense effects could exacerbate my illness.

2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done a lot of pranayama and other yogic therapeutic breathing exercises over the years. Some advanced practices over a long period of time, as well. I started long before I got ME. Breathing practices haven't made me any less ill, and I don't find them helpful for symptom relief either.

Yes, I'd say you are right to be cautious. Pranayama is very powerful, its effects can be very intense -- on a bodily level, as well as the mind and emotionally. Can be a very challenging practice even for otherwise healthy people. There are risks, so the guidance of an experienced, skillful and compassionate teacher is definitely needed.

3. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have always found breathing exercises will crash me, but I think it would be different for everyone.

Louie41, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  4. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like meditation but breathing too deep makes me dizzy, so no fun.

Louie41 and Invisible Woman like this.