1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstem Atrophy in Gulf War Illness, 2020, Zhang et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0161813X20300280
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.neuro.2020.02.006

Chezboo, MEMarge, merylg and 15 others like this.
  2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really important. I’ve no idea if similar has been done in CFS yet but I am constantly experiencing a feeling of having a sickly, neurological “hole” top of neck , base of head where it feels certainly symptoms like touch sensitivity come from. It feels as impactful and as serious as a real hole in the body would.
    Obviously the question is what can be done about atrophy? Nothing?

3. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe its caused by reduced need of actions in the brain stem? Then one might elevate the request somehow.

4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The brain stem again... I'm convinced it's involved in ME too. Slowly, slowly, we're getting there.

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago there were studies done that found abnormalities in the brainstem in people with ME.

A healthy functioning brainstem is important for homeostasis from google

"The brain stem consists of a group of structures that lie deep within the brain, including the pons, medulla oblongata, and midbrain. It plays an important role in maintaining homeostasis by controlling autonomic functions such as breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure."

I suspect that POTS and dysautonomia in ME is caused by problems in the brainstem and hypothalamus so may not be the same as that in the otherwise healthy population.

Particularly important because it means that sedentary behaviour may be caused by dysautonomia rather than the other way round.