1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain Fog Article The Atlantic—The way out of Brain Fog

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Jaybee00, Apr 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know a sure-fire cure for brainfog: just wait. Eventually you'll be dead and your brainfog will stop.

Yah, not really helpful either. :rolleyes:

Sing, MEMarge, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are truly seeing medicine failing the healing crystal test in real time, giving credit to various things "working" where time was the actual factor. Seriously amazing. And terrifying for what it means for us in how it reinforces psychosomatic beliefs.

Truly the golden age of medical pseudoscience, and it took medicine to fall for it for it hook, line, sinker, fisher and boat. Amazing.

Sing, MEMarge, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, some parts of it were informative to me. But the presumption that people are getting better from the interventions is completely unsupported by any evidence. maybe, but most likely a lot of them are just getting better. A therapist reporting that some patients feel a bit better at two months and even more feel better at four months has no necessary relationship to any treatment delivered.

Sing, MEMarge, Snowdrop and 10 others like this.
  5. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not just medicine but the band name media which the credulous still trust. The Atlantic was bought out by a billionaire heiress and is now a vantiy/hobby publication, but with the same brand and name associations it had 50 years ago. In that, it is not unique.

Sing and Michelle like this.
  6. Sisyphus

If I do nothing at all other than my standard Rx, at some point I’ll get considerably better over several months. After a while, a seemingly trivial stressor, the change of seasons or in some cases nothing I can detect will smash me back to pre improvement level. Any huckster promoted placebo done before or during the improvement period could be credited with causing it. I believe this is not unusual for ppl with whatever it is we have.

Sing, MEMarge, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  7. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#NaturalRecovery

MEMarge and Michelle like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I found it an interesting read. Reading it carefully, I think a lot of what they are doing is actually getting the patients to cut back a lot on what they are tryin to do. They are getting them to pace, both physically and cognitively, and teaching them strategies for helping with memory, including making schedules so they remember to do things and take breaks. Also helping them adjust their expectations.

Whether the 'brain training' is actually making a difference to their capacity to read, for example, is not clear. It seems to me more like cutting back to less than they are currently able to do, then building back up again - so not necessarily ending up any better, just giving them a sense of progress. And of course some natural recovery is happening.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Rx?

MEMarge, oldtimer and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Sisyphus

USA usage for prescriptions. I mean it to include all prescription and over the counter stuff I have/need to manage ME/CFS. 2. I can’t wait for a better word for our condition(s).

MEMarge likes this.