1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Book for smart people who have neuroimmune diseases

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by Samuel, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan suggested i post this as a thread in this forum. i first mentioned it in an autism vs. m.e. thread. from memory, the book covers self-help for smart people, research questions, observations, interviews, lists of resources, misopathy, etc.

[LINK=amazon]B00MNR7AI8[/MEDIA] . https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23377613-gifted-and-sick .

[note: i was sent the final draft, but was unable for health reasons to read it thoroughly or write the foreword. it mentions /the kafka pandemic/.]

[edit: amazon links do not work for me on this forum. one more try: www.amazon.com/Gifted-Sick-Intersection-Ability-Neuroimmune-ebook/dp/B00MNR7AI8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Samuel, I downloaded a reading sample. It's quite affordable, so I shall consider bying it.

Little Bluestem and Samuel like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Do let us know what you think, @Inara.

4. Inara

Invisible Woman, Samuel and Trish like this.
  5. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read the first three chapters so far. It’s not exactly solid science (mostly anecdotal stuff), but I find it promising.

The best part so far is that the author manages to describe accurately the frustration of being simultaneously over and under stimulated.

I’m bored out of my mind, but I don’t have the cognitive capacity to do the activities that would sufficiently challenge me, or at least not for long enough for it to make any difference.

The book validates that frustration, and the regret from degrees/projects/jobs that couldn’t be finished at the level you know you should have been able to.

Looking forward to reading the rest:)

6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks interesting, but the price is not right :(
    Plus i can't read books anymore :cry:

Trish and Inara like this.
  7. Inara

What is also addressed - and what touched me personally because that's how I felt during my bad cognitive times, too - is the topic about identity:

It's not only as @andypants expressed - feeling incredibly bored but being unable to do something, or feeling overwhelmed by things that were easy in the past, feeling frustrated, "robbed" - for some it's also about who they are and as they view themselves.

Hutan, Snowdrop, Samuel and 5 others like this.
  8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely, I agree this is a big part of it - the loss of or change in identity.

The interviews also highlights how you can find other ways to use your talents, or finding other ways to express yourself. Like all the amazing people in here who post and read new studies and help others understand, or motivate people to get involved, become activists, or in other ways try to accomplish what they can with what little energy they have.

Inara, Hutan, Allele and 4 others like this.