1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Book due out: "Doing Harm: The Truth About How Bad Medicine and Lazy Science Leave Women Dismissed, Misdiagnosed, and Sick by Maya Dusenbery"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Another article:
    'Medical Symptoms That Medicine Can't Hear': A Conversation With Maya Dusenbery

https://psmag.com/social-justice/medical-symptoms-that-medicine-cant-hear

Inara, Joh, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  2. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I am not sure at all that the gender bias applies v much to the neglect of ME research, it is a far more complex narrative, and I think it distracts from the complexity of that narrative to focus on more women than men having ME. But I find the term 'feminists whingeing' to be quite disturbing too, Barry, I agree with you (sorry, this post published before I had finished so it was full of typos a few mins ago).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    Inara, sb4, Skycloud and 1 other person like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A link from the above article took me to this :

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-10-29/entertainment/8603210488_1_male-body-male-model-moral

The entire article is very short. Sadly it doesn't have any references, so I couldn't find out why little girls were deemed to be morally inferior to little boys. I wonder if the unnamed authors of this unnamed study stopped to wonder why the prison population is overwhelmingly male if males are intrinsically more moral than females?

Cheshire, Inara, Joh and 2 others like this.
  4. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like what Maya Dusenbery writes.

I often had the thought that psychiatry is sexistic. Of course, many men suffer (and have suffered) due to psychiatry, too. But when I came across stories from the past - where e.g. some husbands were fed up with their wives and decided to dispose themselves of them, psychiatry was very helpful in doing so - I realized psychiatry is one expression of patriarchalism; of course, it displays discrimination and degradation in general, but my impression is that up until today women were more affected.

I have to make that experience again and again when it comes to doctors; not only when it is about ME. And I hear stories by women who make comparable experiences. In the meanwhile, it makes me pretty angry, to say it nicely. And I ask myself: WHY??? And what to do?

I often wonder what kinds of discrimination develop in matriarchalisms...Does anyone know? (Hereby I assume that discrimination will always exist whenever human beings are involved.)

Arnie Pye and Joh like this.
  5. Inara

Come on, this has to be a joke.

Angel27 and Arnie Pye like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Notice that the link I gave was written in 1986. It isn't very recent. But I believe it wasn't until the 1990s that the powers-that-be said researchers must start including women in their experimental groups.

At the time I posted I tried finding the research that was being referred to but couldn't find anything.

Inara likes this.
  7. Inara

Maybe because they are girls, and as you know, it was the woman that brought sin into the world and who reproduces it (due to e.g. Augustinus). Nowadays there even still exist people who think that euthanasia is a good thing, so why not believe in the inferiority of the female, too - or in any inferiority of anyone?

Maybe this inferiority is the reason why women get certain diseases more often, like ME? You know, people with ME have a certain personality structure... (Irony here...) And probably, men who get ME, too, are just as inferior as a woman.

(Ehm, if this breaches any rule, please feel free to remove it.)

Arnie Pye likes this.
  8. Inara

Still...that this should really have happened..? You want to know more about breast and uterine cancer and only look at men? It's really hard for me to believe such a thing really happened.

Hm.

9. Arnie Pye

There are lots of links on the subject online - these are just the first two that I found :

Title : Gender bias in research: how does it affect evidence based medicine?

Link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1761670/#!po=2.27273

Title : Most scientific studies only use male subjects. Here's why that's a terrible idea.

Link : https://www.popsci.com/male-female-research-subjects

Inara likes this.
  10. Inara

I went through Leon Bradlow's publication list and looked at his 80s publications - there wasn't a study where it was mentioned the cohort consisted only of men (where it was about breast cancer, estrogen, uterine cancer). But to be fair, most papers are behind paywalls, and many abstracts didn't contain much information about the cohort (if, it was referenced to females); so this is not final.

Thanks for the links!

Arnie Pye likes this.