1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ: Pressure grows on Lancet to review “flawed” PACE trial

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, you mean this but "Furthermore, and unusually, because of the campaign against it, has been subject to a number of further reviews after being published, all of which have found its conclusions to be sound." Maybe he's talking about BPS commentary on it, and hyping it as reviews? Maybe someone should ask him to point at these reviews, which he might have been better advised to have referenced.

2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this on twitter? It would be great if people could post screen-shots. I think it's probably a waste of time to respond to Sharpe at this stage of the debate. What's the point? Is someone listening to him?

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's at BMJ. Note: No competing interests from Sharpe..
    https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3621/rr-1

4. dave30th

Thanks!

5. Barry

As usual MS makes what on the face of it is a valid comment to try and establish his credentials; but the comment is not one that's valid to this. Yes, of course good scientific research should not be held back by campaigning against it; nor suppressing its findings. But that's not the same as trying to prevent bad, damaging research.

And "or by suppressing its findings" would be pantomime-hilarious were it not for the seriousness of it. The PACE publication was itself the most shameful suppression of its findings! It effectively supplanted the truth with the authors' own fiction. He's a real piece of work isn't he.

MEMarge, Philipp, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Cochrane? Simon Wessely calling it a thing of beauty?

MEMarge, Inara, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a rapid response to the BMJ piece on the BMJ site and this would be an excellent place to put on record what rubbish he's talking. He's speaking in public, where professionals will see the debate and where he can't control things or shut other people down.

Inara, adambeyoncelowe, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be odd for an academic to call something on the Mental Elf a review. A review is usually considered to be something in peer-reviewed journal, not something on some random website somewhere.

MEMarge, Inara, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I was kind of joking with the Wessely suggestion, but the Cochrane review might be what he is referring to.

MEMarge, Inara, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  10. dave30th

Yeah, I also assume this is Cochrane--those reviews agree with the PACE conclusions is how I read it, so in that sense he's claiming they prove PACE was good.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But what about the reviews in JHP?
    I have made another comment indicating that I believe Sharpe has made false statements - in particular about us that signed the Lancet letter.
    Let's see if it gets posted.

MEMarge, Philipp, Inara and 22 others like this.
  12. dave30th

well I didn't say he was being honest!

MEMarge, rvallee, Inara and 10 others like this.
  13. large donner

large donner Guest

Plus he is stupid enough to bring the Times piece to peoples attention himself anyway.

Looks like a hat-rick of own goals now from the BPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glqkyw8A43k

MEMarge, Inara, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Odd article in the Times today about pigs flying.

15. Barry

Hmm ... that might be deemed a first.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  16. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

17. Barry

Just emailed Matt Hancock the BMJ and Times links, with a few encouraging words.

18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The point to be made regarding this lame defense is that science can in no way progress as he suggests if the way in which science research is conducted is fundamentally flawed. It goes beyond PACE. All research that uses dodgy methodology will yield nothing of any use to anyone until that is fixed. This is the message that should be hammered home.

MEMarge, Hutan, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  19. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there weren't substance to the criticisms of PACE nobody would have been persuaded to sign the letter to the Lancet. No one would have done so purely because of campaigners or activists whinging about not 'liking' the paper or the therapies. It's sad that Sharpe protests in the manner he does. eta - He has nothing to say in defence of PACE or he would have said it long ago.

MEMarge, MeSci, Inara and 8 others like this.
  20. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you think the pluralisation of syndrome was a typo or deliberate? Is he suggesting there are different chronic fatigue syndromes? I’m not blocked on Twitter so I could ask him.

I have also just submitted a rapid response to the BMJ, making similar points to the above posts.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018