1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ Management of post-acute Covid-19 in primary care, 2020, Greenhalgh et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by obeat, Aug 12, 2020.

1. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fatigue
    The profound and prolonged nature of fatigue in some post-acute covid-19 patients shares features with chronic fatigue syndrome described after other serious infections including SARS, MERS, and community acquired pneumonia.19202244 We found no published research evidence on the efficacy of either pharmacological or non-pharmacological interventions on fatigue after covid-19. Patient resources on fatigue management45 and guidance for clinicians on return to exercise43 and graded return to performance for athletes (box 4) 46 in covid-19 are currently all based on indirect evidence.

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like that they recommend pacing and emphasise that graded increase of exercise should be done only if tolerated. Also nice to see recommendations of patient peer support groups.

F1.large.jpg

4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alternative universe

5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patients were involved in reviewing this prior to publication. One of them was Paul Garner - I don't recognise any of the other names - he may well be reponsible for the bolding of "if tolerated".

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That is a critical qualifier. It makes it symptom driven, which is pacing not GET.

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This needed an explanation of PEM.

Without it, there is the risk of symptoms being attributred to deconditioning when they have nothing to do with it.

anniekim, lunarainbows, inox and 17 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Agreed but it’s not a bad start and hopefully they could be persuaded to revise it with information about PEM as patients begin to register that the time frame for any anticipated recovery is stretching and get a better understanding of what PEM is and how it affects them in practice.

inox, alktipping, andypants and 9 others like this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't understand this. How can someone whose covid-19 was managed in the community have a persistent abnormal chest x-ray if the same article recommends chest x-ray only at 12 weeks?

And "subsequent early referral to pulmonary rehabilitation probably aids recovery"? Obviously my definition of the word "early" is substantially different to that of the author.

alktipping, Kitty, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm really hoping this is the final death knell for GET. I know it's not a NICE publication, but it's from an influential journal; it's quite hard to see how NICE could continue recommending exercise-based 'therapy' in the face of publications like this.

Joh, EzzieD, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Though this group have real problems understanding that association is not causality and invariably decide on a direction of causality that suits their own preconceptions regardless of other evidence.

13. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are there other disease/illness groups where the main clinician/researchers are so negative about peer-support groups and relevant charities?

MSEsperanza, Joh, Gecko and 10 others like this.
  14. Dx Revision Watch

Good question.

Their frequent references, in the past, to highly organised and "politicised" patient organisations that operate as "powerful lobby groups" used to amuse me.

Joh, EzzieD, Wits_End and 9 others like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

Indeed.

Joh, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Be fair, one at least was quite powerful in terms of carrying the message to the patients.

Kitty and MEMarge like this.
  17. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

18. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am glad they are listening to those who know (patient peer reviewers) what they're talking about!

Joh, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

A shame they needed to but yes.

20. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am surprised there's not more discussion about dysautonomia in long-COVID. (Haven't tracked this so is this generally the case or is there acknowledgement of it?)