1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ: Chronic fatigue syndrome and Long Covid, moving beyond the controversy, 2021, Newman

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Wyva, Jun 24, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was an article about this in the early days saying he'd gone back when Long Covid started pushing funding to those clinics. Which I guess I kind of missed. Of course they follow the money. Their research is all finely crafted to produce more research.

So I guess we should eventually see yet another article about him retiring, for the 3rd time?, from "chronic fatigue" research. Maybe with some rude tiktok video, or whatever, as evidence of just how bad people we all are.

RedFox, Kitty, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/team/michael-sharpe

Hutan, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks as if he has simply resigned as Clinical Lead, which is just a nominal administrative chore. If he is still Honorary Consultant he is likely to be working just as before. That is the usual clinical title for an academic doctor.

MEMarge, Hutan, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yikes. Someone sees a very different image of themselves when looking in a mirror.
    [​IMG]

MEMarge, Hutan, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I kid you not, at first take I read that as " ... cremating real-world solutions ... ".

MEMarge, Michelle, Evergreen and 5 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

You are right, it is better than some approaches; there is recognition of PEM. However, there's the issue of whether it is sensible for money to be allocated to these "individualised treatments". I don't think there is any good evidence that the rehabilitation approaches, for both people with and without PEM, produce any better outcomes than would be achieved by the GP being sympathetic and giving the patients with PEM a pamphlet on pacing and the patients with lung damage a pamphlet on, I don't know, maybe, singing.

There's an opportunity cost for the health system. Money spent on useless rehabilitation is money not spent on buying MRI machines, and ensuring people with cancer are seen quickly, and that people who need a hip operation get one, and that there are enough nurses.

These rehabilitation services also fill a void; they keep patients trudging through the process with hope for a while. Some of the patients at the end of the rehabilitation process do improve, almost certainly just because of the passage of time, and they become exponents of more mostly useless rehabilitation services. They are the patients who write the glowing testimonials. The patients who don't improve may well feel that they have failed. The rehabilitation services delay these patients realising that there really isn't anything to help them. The services consume the time when many patients still have influential connections and support and money and burning indignation about what has befallen them, spitting out the non-improvers to sink quietly into a state of shame and resignation.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023